Opinions on OTR vs Home Daily?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by D_Havens, Jul 31, 2012.

1. DirtyBob

DirtyBob Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Indiana
    I've done both and there are points to both I like. Local was nice getting home every night but it was pretty much to sleep after working 14 if not the one 16 hour day you get a week. Personally, I prefer the dedicated team run I'm on now from CA to KY. I don't drive the same exact stretch every day, although every other day, and I actually get more rest. I sleep better in a moving truck than with my wife waking me up constantly. I can take about 12-14 hours at home ever four days if I want, and I get every other weekend at home for a reset, plus still take my week off ever 6-8 weeks. Being able to take a week off when you like is still a big plus for OTR for me. Sure you don't get paid but if all I'm doing is driving and sleeping working local or OTR, I might as well be able to take time off when I want.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dirtyjerz

dirtyjerz glowing beard pouty kid

Jun 7, 2011
    Playing in Traffic
    Another point i thought of, local is more than your own bed. Its also its showering without flip flops and leaving your soap and shampoo in there. Eatting a home cooked meal ( or heated up leftovers) not the junk at the ts or trying to cook on 12v. Know you have a place to park at the end of the day without circling the lot 5 times. Yeah we do have a drive to work, have to see and talk to the boss more often and see the same stuff over and over but thats part of local work.

Now im sure a otr guy could find good counter to my post, and i say bring it (in a good natured way). Nothing wrong with a nice healthy debate. Also lets keep the mods happy.

4. Gambinos Wrath

Gambinos Wrath Light Load Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Denver, co
    I'm otr, been doing it for the past 8 months, I hated stressing out thinking about where I was gonna park and sleep, I even started changing up my driving hours a bit so I would hit a place to park 3-4pm in the afternoon and leave early. However now I'm team driving with my wife so it's rarely an issue about parking as we are usually rolling, and never have to worry about the clock, no more "fark! Running out of time, need someplace to park". However I personally would like a dedicated where I'm home every weekend, ala Friday night if we push it, put again Monday morning. I hate not being able to go to the gym, and not eating a decent home cooked meal for 24 days (I go out 24 as its the minimum for 4 days off otherwise I need to clean out the truck). I enjoy Otr, and loved showing my wife the beauty of her country, but I'm sorta over it now, and would really like to be out for a week then home for weekends

D_Havens Thanks this.
  5. D_Havens

D_Havens Light Load Member

Jul 31, 2012
    Houston, TX
    All great points, and I guess it really does come down to the person, and personnal preference. No doubt money can be made in either situation (OTR vs Local), if you're with a good company.

Any of you have a preference to hauling for a specific industry or cargo type? (IE: tankers, reefers, flatbed, car carrier, hazmats, etc...)

6. EZ Money

EZ Money Road Train Member

I was OTR for years but still got home most weekends.
    Then i went to a local LTL job and hated it. 14 to 16 hour days with just enough time to run home,eat and sleep.

The deal i have now is much better.Out on Sunday and run 2 or 3 loads regional. Usually get home for a night between loads and done on Thursday for the week.
    I average sleeping in the truck about 2 or 3 nights a week.

Dedicated runs that myself and one other driver rotate the routes on a 3 week cycle.
    We run a 9 state area in the Southeast.

7. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    just for me after working on the ocean all my life all over the world I couldn't stand being told when to move sit etc I would be bored going down the same road everyday. I see new different stuff everyday that i never saw living on the coast. And none of my 3 wives could have stood having me around daily seeing as i have had 3 they couldnt stand me away either

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    OTR means my work commute is two steps from the house (Sleeper) into the drivers chair (Office.) and done.

9. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    And you can keep your slippers on.

86scotty Thanks this.
  10. NewbiusErectus

NewbiusErectus Medium Load Member

Jun 27, 2012
    For OTR (tanker), there were several breaking points for me, but winter in the mid south was the biggie.

I'm fine with winter driving as I've lived in the Midwest all my life. What bothered me is the States that aren't equipped to handle the tiniest bit of ice and snow. Even the few who are somewhat equipped, they don't know what to do with it (Kentucky, I'm talking to YOU here).

Also, in the OTR world, it's rare to be compensated for all your time. My last OTR job paid OT after 8/40, so that was the exception (all time logged on duty paid).

The last three years, I've been local. It's easy, plenty of OT available (OT after 8/40), or work 5-8 hrs and go home if I want. Great money/bennies, easy work, pd time off, vac, holidays, personal days. Company is strict about some things, but overall a friendly work environment.

I'd do OTR tanker again, but as an owner op (which is probably what I'd do if my current job went bye bye).

I would only do another local if it was similar to what I have now, none of that 12-14 hour a day stuff.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.