Opinions On: Securing Steel Coils - Use of chains / straps / dunage

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by jersey girl trucker, Jan 22, 2015.

1. dclerici1

dclerici1 Medium Load Member

Aug 1, 2012
    MISSOURI
    Just a question out of curiosity- do any shippers load steel onto conastoga's or are they all overhead loaded?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kona911

kona911 Light Load Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redding, CA
    Conastogas are able to be opened up all the way so you can load them just like a flatbed. However, curtainside trailers which are more common on the west coast, have a hard roof which means no overhead loading. The curtains slide separately.

Lucar and dclerici1 Thank this.
  4. Raezzor

Raezzor Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Aug 1, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    I've seen some places that actually load coils into dry vans. I don't mean small palletized coils either, talking the big 20k+ lb suckers. It all depends on the way the shipper and receiver are setup and if the trailer has the proper securement points in it. With a special rig for a crane you can load a 20k lb coil all the way at the front of a dry van (not sure on max length of the adapter but they are pretty long.) The primary concern for most shippers is how is the receiver setup to unload a coil. That is what determines method of transport for the most part.

dclerici1 Thanks this.
  5. Lucar

Lucar Road Train Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Texas
    Any coil over 25k lbs has to be suicide loaded on my trailer or I won't haul it.
    chains are your best friend, somehow reading this thread I can picture so many trailer pocket's savaged...
    it is a good precaution to stack up your other 6-8 timbers 5-6 ft forward from the coil as a wall in case ####..

The way "I" secure anything is "if I flip over the load has to stay on the trailer"

Hurst and Raezzor Thank this.
  6. SheepDog

SheepDog Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sand Lake, MI
    I agree with the "if I flip over the load has to stay on the trailer" statement and chains are your best friend, but what does stacking up 6-8 timbers, 5-6 ft in front of the coil, going to do if that coil breaks loose? What do yo mean by "trailer pockets savaged"? Not picking, just trying to learn is all...

7. Lucar

Lucar Road Train Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Texas
    The timbers chained up stacked instead of being carried on the landing gear will at least slow down the coil in case ####..

Pockets savaged, most drivers and I'll jump here in the wolves' lair attesting that in my knowledge about 80% don't know how to chain from or to a trailer pocket. That's why you see trailers with the rails and pockets torn/broken.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
    Hurst and SheepDog Thank this.
  8. SheepDog

SheepDog Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sand Lake, MI
    Not sure 6-8 timbers would slow down a 43lb coil or not but, in case I am doing it wrong, will you explain how to properly secure a chain to a stake pocket? For the record, I wrap the chain around the pocket and hook to the opposite side..

9. Lucar

Lucar Road Train Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Texas
    Chains are to be routed around the pocket, and then hooked back onto the chain in a tear drop manner when using a stake pocket for a tie point.

The chain hook ending on a lip of the pocket does not have the working load of what the pocket is rated for. Thus damaging, tearing the lip and in some cases damaging the pocket entirely, specially on aluminum pockets.

Some of us drivers avoid chaining to the aluminum pockets, since most trailers' spools are now rated at 5klbs tie down limit - "whenever possible."

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
    SheepDog and Hurst Thank this.
  10. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    The trailer I have doesnt have the 'normal' rails and pockets like most trailers out there. This is Fontaine's attempt at a stronger side rail. It is pretty sturdy. I had a fork lift operator back into the rear and knocked my trailer 2ft. Other then a scuff mark.. no damage.

Each pocket.. both the stake and slots have chain notches in them. The way I read the manual each single pocket is rated 5600lbs for tie down.. but said if you spread the chain through 2 pockets it would give an effective 8500lb tie down rating.

I also have chain pockets in the bed and use them when ever prudent. Trailer is a 2013. I've been pulling it for almost a yr now. My first step deck. So far the pickets have held up well against chains being secured in them. I would have expected much more gouging. Though I will admit... 5 - 6 yrs from now... well may be a different story.

Been a decent trailer so far. Not perfect.. but much better than many I see out here.

As for the securement techniques.. I thank you. I'm no expert. I try to use common sense when I do something new. Always open to learn from more experienced guys.

Hurst

SheepDog, Raped ape and Lucar Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.