Opinions please. Class A training around Detroit Lakes MN area?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by flint1760, Jan 22, 2019.

1. flint1760

flint1760 Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Frazee, MN
    Hey all.
    I’m wondering if I could get some advice? I live near Detroit Lakes Minnesota. Nearest trucking area is Fargo ND which is about one hour. I have a Class A CDL (tanker & hazemat with probably 100,000 miles of class B experience ( which is obviously a totally different animal for tractor trailers experience). No accidents or offenses. I am a older veteran also. I have applied to a couple of class A jobs with no response yet. I am looking for regional dedicated if I can get it. A few overnights a week are just fine. My main observation is that I would need to go to CDL school such as Prime or Roehl or something to get the experience part of school training, with a one year contract and I am certainly not opposed to that. I do understand that I need to be driving to make everyone money. However, do you think that there may be a carrier near me that might let me team train or some kinda entry driving to get me in or should I just concentrate on finding a carrier school? Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    How long have you been out of a truck? I assume you've been in touch with Magnum? They may have some regional non-class A positions in your area where you may could get back in the game

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Western Express or Abilene Motor Express might give you a chance. Call and ask.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    For school, look at :
    Jim Palmer Trucking - Missoula, Montana
    Wilson Logistics - Missoula, Montana
    CFI - www.cfidrive.com
    With a 12-month commitment to drive for CFI, qualified students can now receive fully paid tuition to attend driving school in Missouri. We’ll even cover your room and board for the duration of the four-week course.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    @STexan posted Magnum Ltd. in Fargo; that's a good choice. Give a phone call.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    flint1760 and Mooseontheloose Thank this.
  5. Moon_beam

Moon_beam Heavy Load Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Check with some of the LTL carriers in Fargo such as Old Dominion, Estes, R&L, ABF, YRC, Lakeville Motor Express. Some of them are training new drivers but you would likely need to do your training in a different location. Con-way was famous for having people start out on the dock then sending them to their own truck driving school. You could be home every day with an LTL city driving job once you are done with training.

6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
  7. flint1760

flint1760 Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Frazee, MN
    Hey thanks for quick response! I drive hazmat tanker support for helicopter ag spray. Peterbilt with frame stretched to support 3000 gal of water and 400 gallon aircraft fuel. Lately I have been doing this for three years and need something not so seasonal

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. Snakeschasingcars

Snakeschasingcars Heavy Load Member

Mar 22, 2018
    We had a guy at our terminal that got hired with a cdl a with only dump truck experience. He couldnt back for #### so they only gave him flat bed loads. So someplaces will hire you wih just having cdl a and cpl years experiance driving a commercial vehicle...

flint1760 Thanks this.
  9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Here's a job in Pelican Rapids > Apply On Company Site
    Do you have a Class “A” CDL license? If so, we have a great opportunity with our company for you to work outdoors and be home every day! Jennie-O Turkey Store has a full-time career opportunity for you as a Live Haul Truck Driver with great benefits (health, dental, vision) and a great PTO plan. Apply today and make it the beginning of a great career!
    Responsibilities:
    • Live Haul Truck Drivers are responsible for transporting live turkeys from area farms to the production facilities.

10. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    I first thought it said ONIONS.

I love onions. Caught my attention.
    Onions have layers.
    Cakes have layers.
    Onions are like Cakes!

11. Truckermania

Truckermania Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Sturgis,SD
    Britton Transport is who I drive for. They take new Cdl holders but do not have a school. They are a good company and based in Grand Forks, ND. I am pretty sure they have regional opportunities in the area. Best wishes!

flint1760 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.