Opinions/Radio for a DX1600X

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by bored silly, May 20, 2017.

1. bored silly

bored silly Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2016
    It's usually the other way around class c for am and class ab for usb/lsb in a mobile cb unit. Best I know of anyway

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ubu

Ubu Road Train Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Rumored to be somewhere
  4. bored silly

Jul 1, 2016
    Pretty much what I said. I think. Not getting many ideas of what radio to run on the A/B Side of that linear though. Certain members come and go on here. But not here when ya need them. OH WELL GO FIGURE

5. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    From looking at the wattage input specs it looks like it requires around 20 to 30 watts carrier and 100 watts peak drive to reach full power output. I guess a radio that would be close to those numbers would be a Galaxy 47 or run a basic radio into a TS Mod V driver, like I said earlier I have never run that much power but I have always liked Galaxy radios so I would try the 47, just my 2 cents.

bored silly Thanks this.
  6. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    General HP 40 has a carrier of 30 watts and pep of 120 watts, it may match up good.

bored silly Thanks this.
  7. bored silly

Jul 1, 2016

8. bored silly

Jul 1, 2016
  9. bored silly

Jul 1, 2016
    Thanks not a HP 40 FAN ALTHOUGH ITS MANY TECHS FAVORITE RADIO.. THAT HP 40 WILL OVERHEAT IF YOU TALK TOO MUCH ON IT. THE 497 HAS A FAN BUILT INSIDE IT...

10. Ubu

Ubu Road Train Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Rumored to be somewhere
    It’s not what you or CW Spook had said. You had said……..
    while CW Spook said the opposite Neither is correct as AM and SSB have the same requirements to be amplified without distortion.

The same class of amplifier works for ether AM or SSB (USB/LSB) as the sideband modes are just a hybrid of an AM signal (remove the carrier and one of the 2 sidebands of an AM signal). Enter a Class A or a Class AB amp will work fine for ether AM or SSB modes.

Because a Class C amp is non-linier it will cause distortion on any mode that modulates the amplitude of the carrier. CW has no modulation and FM modulates the frequency not the amplitude of the carrier so a Class C amp works fine for them but not for AM or SSB.

11. CW Spook

CW Spook Light Load Member

Ubu is correct, and I misspoke. Class C is for CW and FM. Actually, there is a way to make Class C work for an amplitude modulated signal, but I don't believe it's ever been implemented commercially. That said, traditionally, the way to get a high power AM signal was to modulate the base signal with a high power audio signal, e.g., a pair of 811's in the final for 500 watts, modulated by a pair of 807s with about 100 watts of audio.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.