orientation 06/16/09 Dallas

Discussion in 'Swift' started by slick501, Jun 10, 2009.

1. P The Fat Trucker

P The Fat Trucker Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2009
    youngmansoupie, japan
    take a survey when you can and look at the swift trucks out on the road, you will not believe how much damage their is on those trucks, i am not a supertrucker but i do watch where i park and fear when there is not a swift pull thru spot. it's ashame swift spends alot of money for nice trucks and these guys destroy them.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. steelersfan

steelersfan Medium Load Member

May 9, 2009
    BRIDGEWATER, NJ
    Its only because there is so many of their trucks.

4. rookietrucker

rookietrucker Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jul 15, 2007
    TEXAS
    Please, give the greenhorn a chance. It you do not have something to contribute to the success of the newbie. Move on to the next thread..... :biggrin_25515:

5. Darkschneidr

Darkschneidr Light Load Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Haha, this is great. :)

6. lonewolf4ad

lonewolf4ad Road Train Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Displaced to Colorado
    Don't worry about what people say about your company, EVERY company has drivers who make screwups OR they were once part of a company that had those drivers. Swift like FFE is a starter company, they hire a ton of people so damage gets done to their rigs, this is an unfortunate part of the learning process. I personally am more afraid of supertruckers with 30+ perfect years of driving than I am of a rookie, the reason being is the rookie will usually do some light damage and stop because he is so terrified. Supertruckers when they finally screw up they do so ROYALLY.

Best of luck to you, keep your head on straight, don't get demoralized no matter how bad some days, weeks, or even months may seem. I hit the funk 2 months into driving solo, and was ready to quit, once I pulled through that time driving has got alot smoother. I still make mistakes, but I learn from them as you will.

7. slick501

slick501 Light Load Member

May 3, 2009
    stonewall, la
    Well I am to hook up with my trainer/driver today, have a load going to Miami. doen't have to be there until Monday but he wants to start today to see how I do. Sounds like a plan to me.

8. lonewolf4ad

lonewolf4ad Road Train Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Displaced to Colorado
    Goodluck, I haven't been to Miami yet, I mainly run north and west. Although lately I've been seeing a bit more of the eastern mountains in PA, TN, etc..

slick501 Thanks this.
  9. caspur6359

caspur6359 Bobtail Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Mesquite,Tx
    Slick501 stick with it. If you have a good trainer you will do fine. If not, get with Fred or James in Driver services there in Lancaster and they will change you to another trainer. Just look,listen, and learn. Thats all you can do. I was a trainer with Swift for 4 yrs and would still be there today except,.........well, I didn't look and hit a parked car in Ft. Worth. I have 26 yrs driving experience which means nothing. I'm not a super trucker, just a guy in a truck trying to do my job. So, stick with it, Swift is really a pretty good compnay to work for. Freight is picking up, and all will be ok. Be Safe!!

slick501 Thanks this.
  10. slick501

slick501 Light Load Member

May 3, 2009
    stonewall, la
    caspur that really sucks. so what happens to a rookie in that situation?
    This is my second day at lancaster waiting on my trainer. I told Fred that I want to run long and hard with a preference for the southwest region. really do not feel I'm ready for NYC/Chicago, though I know my day is coming. Fred did reccommend my my trainer. In general just listening to the drivers talk, with and w/o experience, all seem to think prety good of Swift.
    All I know is that I need to get at least a year here before deciding on anything else. Trainer is an O/O, so I should get some pretty good information there. I know better that to even think about leasing from Swift. But my own truck eventually may be a possiility.
    I think ultimayely I want to haul tankers.

Appreciate everyones' input

11. Im4Jesus

Im4Jesus Light Load Member

Mar 21, 2009
    northeast
    slick501 best of luck to you and stick with Swift for a couple years. Most Companies want at least 1-2 yrs OTR experience but there are exceptions to this of course

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.