orientation 06/16/09 Dallas

Discussion in 'Swift' started by slick501, Jun 10, 2009.

1. caspur6359

caspur6359 Bobtail Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Mesquite,Tx
    Slick501 well, as far as a trainee in that situation, more then likely would be terminated. But, there are exceptions to every rule. Your right on the lease....don't.
    Cost too much out of pocket before you make any money. You can do good though. Not talking you in or out of it. Just do alot of research before you go. Oh ya...........don't listen to half the drivers out there at the smoking benches............you can figure out why!! lol Be Safe!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mountain Spirit

Mountain Spirit Light Load Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Slick & Caspur:

I have a pre-hire from Swift. I have read all the other threads - some good, mostly bad. Would you mind in giving your thoughts. I know that I should look at miles, and like everyone I want them. But I am more concerned about wait time from orientation to the 5 weeks out. And then the wait time from passing the second drive test to solo. Lots of threads are talking weeks, not days.

Also what is the physical like. I have my medical, but it seems all companies do something different. I know I can pass, unless it is a 27 mile marathon. haha

Unless you are on another thread that you can direct me to that list the above.

I have a pre-hire from Warner, but as a noob, I think I would like to keep my logs to learn. Warner is all paperless. I would like to know what the computer does before I go in blind and let it do it for me.

Thanks, have fun, learn a lot!!

4. caspur6359

caspur6359 Bobtail Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Mesquite,Tx
    Mountain Spirit. You don't sat where your from, but I think Lancaster Tx is doing orientation on a bi-weekly basis unless things have changed in a few weeks. Not sure about the other terminals. As for the Physical, its nothing to worry about. Very simple, cut and dryed as they say. If you are right out of school, expect to be with a trainer for 6 weeks. It can be a fast 6 if you have a good trainer and you learn pretty quick. At the end of the 6 weeks, yes you do a drive test. Same thing, cut and dry very simple. Go around the block, (don"t hit the curbs!! lol) and do a little backing in th eyard. Usually a straight line back and then back into a slot somewhere. Just look, listen and learn from your trainer. Some companies take longer, but the shorter ones I think you might not get enough out of them. Hope this helps you some. Take care and Be safe!

5. slick501

slick501 Light Load Member

May 3, 2009
    stonewall, la
    Mountain,
    Some things about SWIFT orientation: day 1&2 chaos
    I had a DOT physical 04/18/09 at RoadMaster then had to take another one a SWIFT?
    Wellness test: lift 50 - 3feet then 60-65 lbs to 3 feet
    50 4-5 feet then 60-65 4-5 feet
    carry 75lbs about 50 feet
    press 100 lbs pull 100 lbs
    done
    they start issuing driver codes Thursday, if and only if ALL of your paperwork is in order: physical,drug test, DOT, employment hx, DMV report anything can place a hold on your code. No code, no trainer, no pay. I did not get my code until 4:30 pm Friday. Got my trainer Saturday. Was on the road Saturday night around 8PM.
    Went to Miami, then some hole in the wall in Fl, then back to Dallas where I am sittiing on a load going to Ok Monday.

6. LilRed2

LilRed2 Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2009
    lacombe la
    question "501", why did u go to roadmaster when swift has a paid training program, pays u as u go to school that is. I was asking because i was going to do the same as yourself when i found out that they will pay me while i am in school. Please keep us up to date i have put in an application with swift and i am to call them tomorrow.
    Thank u for ur posts
    LilRed

7. slick501

slick501 Light Load Member

May 3, 2009
    stonewall, la
    I did a bit of research on training. You will find that there is a great deal of distain for new SWIFT drivers, especially parking and backing. It lead me to believe that they did not get the proper training.
    I spoke with several people who had gone thru the RoadMaster program and they had mostly good to say about thier experiences. Roadmaster cost around 9Gs if you finance. Swift will pay up to 5Gs towards repayment if you stay one year.:biggrin_25512: I took my driving test at the San Antonio DMV. Swift, which had a school there as well was averaging less than 80% on thier scores. Roadmaster students were averaging > than 90%. My biggest complaint with Roadmaster, as likeky with ayny CDL mill is the lack of driving time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.