Orientation at the Taylor, Michigan Terminal on April 16th

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by Starlifter141, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Starlifter141

Starlifter141 Bobtail Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Swartz Creek, Mi
    Is anyone else scheduled to attend orientation on April 16th at the Taylor, Michigan terminal? Also, any words of wisdom???

Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roadrealtor

Roadrealtor Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Fort Myers, FL
    Be on time for everything, don't fall asleep in any boring lecture, and welcome aboard.

RR

Starlifter141 Thanks this.
  4. Katey

Katey Medium Load Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Valdosta, GA
    Words of Wisdom:

-Try not to be nervous.
    -Don't be late for ANYTHING! If they say you have a 10 minute break be back in 9, on time is everything to this company.
    -Don't lie about anything. They will sometimes accept people with not so perfect pasts but not if you try and cover it up.
    -Come looking like a professional. (Not suit and tie but not ripped jeans and a beer t-shirt either.)

That's about all I can think of.

Good luck!
    Let us know how things go.

Starlifter141 Thanks this.
  5. paul_4lp

paul_4lp Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Fort Myers, FL
    LOL.....that's my Joplin outfit! How did ya know??? Personally. I like my will work for beer T....think that will bring out the dogs??

6. Starlifter141

Starlifter141 Bobtail Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Swartz Creek, Mi
    Thanks everyone. I am really excited about starting and getting to know everybody. I have a ton to learn and can't wait to get the ball rolling. I will be starting my last week of CDL school on Monday. I will definately be ontime (a personal pet-peave of mine). I promise...I will leave my sandbox clothes at home. This next week is gonna fly by...I hope. If you think of anything else....don't hesitate to add. This has been a great blog and has been very helpful in getting my CDL and researching companies!

7. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    what about appearance standards? I have earrings in both ears. would rather not take them out if I dont have to. But will if it means a job.

8. Katey

Katey Medium Load Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Valdosta, GA
    I don't think that should matter.

9. Countyboy

Countyboy Medium Load Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Littleton, NH
    That won't be an issue. The overall professional look is what they are going for and in most regards they are fairly progressive thinking when it comes to piercings and tattoos from what I've seen of both current drivers and people in orientation. Good luck and I will try and find you if I get up there during that week (very probable)

10. Katey

Katey Medium Load Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Valdosta, GA
    I know the rule on tattoos (according to the employee handbook) is nothing above the neck but I have seen even that.

The don't mention jewelry at all so I guess just as long as it doesnt detracted from a professional look.

I know they do care about footwear, no open toed shoes or crocs or anything like that. Need to wear boots, running shoes, or something like that (closed, good grip on the bottom) for safety reasons.

11. Countyboy

Countyboy Medium Load Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Littleton, NH
    Yeah, I've never seen any neck tattoos but I've got my wedding band tattooed on me. Again, it's about professionalism. We deliver to some Hasidic Jewish markets in NYC and they are VERY concervative so when I go there I put on long pants (hides my leg tattoos), long sleeve shirt (hides arm tats/they wear long sleeves yr round no matter the heat), and a hat (again that's how they roll) they are against tattoos and always have arms and legs completely covered so when in their community I think it's respectful to attempt to follow their rules. I wear jeans and a regular long sleeve with a ball cap vs black pants, white shirt, and black hat but I'm atleast trying and I have been told by a Rabi at one place it was apprieciated. We also PU at mills where I wear shorts and a cut off t-shirt. I think if people think about where they are going and what is "OK" in the specific situation Con-way wont much care

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.