Orientation in the morning.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Labrador, Jun 14, 2022.

1. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Do keep us posted on how things go there.

Like Chinatown said, above -- dry van, or flatbed?

--Lual

JoeyJunk, Diesel73 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Labrador

Labrador Medium Load Member

May 31, 2018
    Dry Van - alright heading to bed

Diesel73, JoeyJunk and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  4. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    Good luck bud..
    Pay attention and keep yer nose clean. A year will pass in no time and real opportunities will be available.

5. rpad139

rpad139 Heavy Load Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ca
    Western express, there are youtube video of drivers. Sounds like a regional company

6. Diesel73

Diesel73 Light Load Member

Apr 18, 2022
    Good luck to you! Keep us posted...

Labrador Thanks this.
  7. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

It's an accident. It won't happen again. LOL

8. Blu_Ogre

Blu_Ogre Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Out west
    I would not call them a regional company.

From there Web Site: "Today, Western Express has terminals stretching from Pennsylvania to California. With more than 2,500 power units and 6,500 trailers, Western Express can meet almost any shipping need, including dry van, flatbed, dedicated fleet, logistics and expedited truck/rail options."

Diesel73, Labrador and tscottme Thank this.
  9. Labrador

Labrador Medium Load Member

May 31, 2018
    Thank you all for the well wishes. I just finished 2 days of orientation. Quite an experience. I ended up driving there each morning, getting up at 4:30 AM to be sure I got there by 7 AM (terminal located 50 miles away from me). Tomorrow morning they will email some forms to fill out, some videos I have to watch and then one of their reps is supposed to call me. At some point I am to be paired with a driver trainer (assuming I get a job offer). I don't know what the circumstances of the driving training is though. Is it team driving? They asked that I bring a sleeping bag. Have any of you gone through the new driver orientation with Western Express? I have an email out to my recruiter to help clarify.

Been pretty overwhelming the last 2 days. Pretty tired haha. I will be getting to bed extra early tonight.

10. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    You will need more than a sleeping bag.
    Extra clothes, toiletries and some cash.

Keep it fairly light, as what you bring will likely be on the top bunk with you when you sleep. Not much room up there.
    Warm weather now, so you won't need a coat. Mainly t-shirts, socks, 1 extra pair of jeans... enough to last a week or so as you won't be doing laundry more often than that. Heck, you may not shower much more than that.

You will probably run mainly as a solo driver for the first part, then go to team driving.
    That is when it gets really 'interesting'.
    Trying to sleep in a moving truck, trading off in the middle, trying to get showers and laundry and eating done as you are trying to make deadlines between the two of you.

Boot camp in the military is actually easier in many ways.

Labrador Thanks this.
  11. Blu_Ogre

Blu_Ogre Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Out west
    To expand on @Moosetek13 post.

Sleeping bag, Appropriate bag for electronics (lap top, tablet, ebook....), small duffel bag for clothes that can double as a pillow.

Make sure you pack a dirty laundry sack or pillow case to use as a laundry sack. Basic toiletries kit (including OTC and prescription meds) should also be in that duffel. I keep a hoodie, 2 pairs of jeans, 3 or 4 shirts, and a weeks worth of socks and undershorts in the duffel. Travel mug for coffee if you're an addict like me.

Figure on a cheap sleeping bag the $20 at Walmart variety. Don't Bring the $300 sub zero mummy bag.

If you can't carry it all at once you got too much junk.

Duffel on a shoulder or back pack strap. Sleeping bag either tied to the duffel or carried separate. Electronics in the other hand.

Notice there is no real room for food. You'll need to grab some on the fly. Make sure you've got the debit card set up (get hold of the bank and let them know you will be traveling so they don't shut it off) and some cash for when the card readers just don't work or the bank screws up and shuts off the card.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.