Orientation in the morning.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Labrador, Jun 14, 2022.

1. SoulScream84

SoulScream84 Road Train Member

Mar 21, 2020
    Stick with where you are for now amigo. As I said, and as Austin said there are some success stories at WE like any other carrier. Even if things aren't perfect do your best to ride out your first full year with 1 company and it opens more doors if you're not happy where you are.

As far as your questions you've got some good resources here, even if we do enjoy throwing shade and jokes at people for not knowing.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    OP...if you want some advice from somebody who's been through the WE mill, maybe @otterinthewater will chime in. He did his time there, learned everything he could, ran hard, kept his record clean and moved on to something better. He can give you a balanced view based on actual experience.

4. Labrador

Labrador Medium Load Member

May 31, 2018
    Thank you for the congrats and the advice. Yes I plan to put safety first of course. What comes to mind for me right off is trying to make right hand turns and trying to keep some 4 wheeler from cutting in, all the while trying to make the turn.

austinmike Thanks this.
  5. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    When it comes to making turns, sometimes you have to use ALL the road. Usually if a 4 wheeler sees a 18 wheeler swinging wide around a corner they have a come to jesus moment and give you room. Hopefully !

Labrador Thanks this.
  6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

If it happens you are/should be watching that right mirror and bumper spot mirror for something in the space between your right side and the curb. If you see anything in that space stop. You MUST learn that all the cars want you to hurry up and your job is to NOT hurry up. The cars are watching their smart phones and you are almost a paid professional. No excuses. You can't race anyone to finish the turn, etc. No plan that involves you hurrying up is a good plan. After you see ALL cars are a-holes in a hurry for no reason you might learn to enjoy going as slow as necessary to d things safely and recognize the frustration of the TikTok watching 4-wheelers is how you know you are doing a good job. Also, when looking for a customer go as slow as necessary so you do not run past the driveway you want to turn into. NONE of those cars you may feel want you to hurry up will do ANYTHING to help you if you speed up and put the truck where it's not supposed to be. Eff the cars and their race to get to the Starbucks 3 seconds faster and buy a $19 coffee.

tarheelsfan105, Siinman and Labrador Thank this.
  7. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Keep a copy of your first paystub in case someday in the future you need proof of when you started working at the company. Ditto for your last pay stub/record.

8. SoulScream84

SoulScream84 Road Train Member

Mar 21, 2020
    Hopefully your trainer will work with you on right turns. If not some dirt lot hole in the wall truckstop and a few traffic cones make for good practice on getting your technique down.

Labrador Thanks this.
  9. Labrador

May 31, 2018
  10. Labrador

May 31, 2018
    Thank you. She did contact me again saying a driver trainer would be in touch. Indeed is it a relief they are paying me to wait it does indicate their intent to move forward with me.

Siinman Thanks this.
  11. Labrador

May 31, 2018
    I will for sure try not to do that haha.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.