OSOW Turn By Turn Help!

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by alex.sweitzer, Mar 4, 2024.

1. alex.sweitzer

alex.sweitzer Bobtail Member

Mar 4, 2024
    Hey everyone,

Does anyone have any insight into a software that would remotely route drivers based on permits? The way we currently do it is I receive all of the permits and then modify the route on google maps, print it out, and give a paper turn-by-turn to the driver. This is fine but when you're trying to read through a piece of paper while on the road its a bit precarious.

I have tried using the Garmin Dezl units and using Garmin's Trip Planner Software but I dont think its been updated since the 90s and you physically have to plug the unit into the computer that you are making the trip on. Co-Pilot seems to require entering stops as opposed to Via Points which is not ideal.

Basically what Im looking for is some system where I can punch in a trip on a laptop/desktop/tablet/etc... modify it to match the load's permits, and send it to a truck-based GPS unit where the driver can pull up that trip and receive turn-by-turn based on the route shaping provided. We do a lot of over-the-road into unfamiliar places so knowing exactly where a turn is coming up would be very helpful.

A couple of years ago, I spoke with the development team at Garmin who told me that they were working on something like this but I never saw/heard anything further.

I figured by 2024, a company would have designed a software that is capable of this, but so far I've had no luck finding anything that works quite right. If anyone has similar concerns or has any leads please let me know! Thank you.

Alex Sweitzer
    C&C Ventures, LLC
    Marine Transport

W923 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. North Pole Nightmare

North Pole Nightmare Heavy Load Member

Dec 15, 2021
    Hammer app has OS,you have to enter the truck dimensions.But I don't know if the route it determines would be the same as your permits.

alex.sweitzer Thanks this.
  4. alex.sweitzer

alex.sweitzer Bobtail Member

Mar 4, 2024
    Yeah that seems to be the other issue I've had with different truck routing apps. They will route you on a way that their software seems fit but not necessarily what your permits say.

W923 Thanks this.
  5. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    If you cant trust your drivers to follow their permitted route without step by step instructions from you, they dont belong in the drivers seat of an os/ow load.

cke, Oxbow, beastr123 and 7 others Thank this.
  6. Hayfieldmn

Hayfieldmn Light Load Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Just tell them to take the longest, dumbest route from A to B and it will match the state routing 95% of the time.

cke and Oxbow Thank this.
  7. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Hiring drivers that need this level of hand holding is what’s wrong with trucking. I use a Dezl and it works just fine putting in the route by hand.

cke, Oxbow, beastr123 and 3 others Thank this.
  8. Landincoldfire

Landincoldfire Heavy Load Member

Sep 27, 2015
    New Holland, Pa
    Enroute for Apple works well and you are able to share the route. I won’t say anything about the skill level of your team because it has already been addressed.

cke, Oxbow and beastr123 Thank this.
  9. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    I assume that you adjust the route on Google Maps to fit your requirements, with each adjustment shown by a pin or flag, right? Give your drivers a list of those pin locations so they can set up the route on Google Maps in their devices, keeping the paper version from you as a backup.

James j Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.