Other company's besides Prime or Schneider for training?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by wonderingman, Jul 30, 2021.

1. wonderingman

wonderingman Bobtail Member

Jul 12, 2021
    Hi,
    I'm currently planning on going to Prime for a company sponsored training, but am starting to get second thoughts about the company the main reason I chose Prime was the length of the training and pay. I figured after finishing my contract or after paying them off and getting my 6 months of experience I could save up enough to pay them off in full then do Regional or local, but I'm not sure how I'll deal with doing OTR and being that alone. I've been looking at what Schneider offers with home time, but have heard the company's pay is low and training is short, but I really like what they offer for home time. I'm open to doing OTR right out of the gate if I have to. I'm in my late 20s and single male with no kids in MD, My end goal is to get a food service job out of state in WA or OR and have a dating/ social life. By the way I also applied for YRC Academy and haven't heard back. How picky is YRC ? Any suggestions on other company's?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Wilson Logistics is big in Washington and Oregon and hires in 48 states.
    I think Wilson has two terminals in Washington.
    ~
    Wilson Logistics
    Wilson Logistics offers a Paid CDL Training Program designed for those with no prior experience wanting to become a professional over-the-road (OTR) truck driver. We have two training locations: Missoula, MT and Springfield, MO. We hire out of all the lower 48 states.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    Judge and Puppage Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    YRC is good and would be ideal for you after moving to WA or OR.
    Problem is, they're slow as molasses when it comes to hiring.

5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    Six9GS Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Jenn72 Thanks this.
  7. Anywhichwaybutloose

Anywhichwaybutloose Light Load Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Many LTLs offer training.Old Dominion,, Fed ex,, do. Easiest to just call around on Monday.. May have you work the dock before starting school.

8. HiramKingWilliams

HiramKingWilliams Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2019
    State of Jefferson
    You can get hired directly on as a trainee in food service in OR and just skip all that other mess:

Truck Driver - No CDL Required - Great Home Time - Monmouth, OR - Indeed.com

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  10. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    You've got suggestions. You've got Prime and Schnieder in your back pocket. Even if you can't get a hit from a local gig immediately, it isn't a bad thing to get some OTR experience first. You don't necessarily have to do that, but it definitely doesn't hurt you when you go local to have it on your resume, even just a year. You're still young so even if you do a year on the road, it comes and goes. If you're unsure about going at it alone for a stretch, try a team gig. Sometimes in trucking, no matter what sector, you gotta give up something to get to where you want to go.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.