Other truck drivers are buying beer, should I report them?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by IluvCATS, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    I don’t drink at all on the truck, never will. But I will have drinks away from the truck, WHEN I have a very long break, 34 reset or on off days, I will take zero chance of their being any alcohol in my system.

that said, we can drink, it’s not illegal, it’s all how you go about! When you’re off, in the bunk, it’s technically the same as being home in your bed. If you went for drinks, Uber back to your cab, get in, go straight in back, go to sleep, DO NOT sit in drivers seat and for the love of god do not idle the truck, then you’re legal. Just make #### sure you have way more time then you think you need to completely get the alcohol out of your system before you sit in that drivers seat!

also you better make #### sure you park in a spot that there’s zero chance of someone asking you to move. If that happens, you’re in a situation. You’d have to admit to being unable to move the vehicle due to alcohol in your system.

best bet is just to avoid alcohol on the road until your home. Then you don’t have to worry.

jason6541 and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    After I got tagged by a like on my last comment I remembered a situation from when I was active. Back then I would when off duty and cleared of responsibility of the truck I would drink some if it was available. It so happened I was in Ohio and went by the terminal to get some more clothes out of my tractor because I was going to be down for two more days. While there I was told to go test! OOPs, I said. I really should have never entered the company property with alcohol in my body, but did! I walked into safety and sit down in the main office and owned up to drinking. The man said well Mike let me get you over to the clinic and you still will need to test, but I will certify you off duty so you won't have to blow. I felt kind of bad about it, but swore I would NEVER again drink or have alcohol in my body while on company property or in a company vehicle!

Eowyn, bzinger and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  4. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Yeah, awkward situation but the legal point was, “off duty” At the last company I worked for, (not the current one) drivers ALWAYS would ride Uber from the yard out for drinks, get smashed, Uber back to the yard, get in their trucks and sleep it off. I never heard of anyone getting in trouble for it. ‍♂️

5. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    The only real danger of being under the infleunce in the sleeper is one, like @Lennythedriver said if someone needs you to move your truck. I had that happen 20+ years ago and I just let the other driver move it for me. But with the drivers we have now and the ELDs, I don't think I would do that.
    The other time it could screw with you is if someone hits your truck where you are parked. Technically you are then at the scene of an accident and legally on duty, so if a cop came you could have a probelm.
    Safe thing is to wait for when you are away from the truck.

not4hire, bzinger, MIT and 3 others Thank this.
  6. Just a rookie

Just a rookie Light Load Member

Apr 8, 2021
    canuckdia
    so a beer that is sold as no alcohol is fair game? like them heineken zeros for example

7. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    When I made that comment I took the time to look up 26 USC 5052 and linked to it. My reply to you is how does 26 USC 5052 describe beer? That should be your answer!

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  8. kemosabi49

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Even the so called NA beer has about 0.5% alcohol by volume according to the can.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  9. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    There was a guy here who got in an accident while driving for Leonard's. He then got a job at Melton and had some brake issue, so the truck was at Kenworth, and they put him up in a motel. He took to social media to describe his tying one on in the hotel bar. He had to be at Kenworth in the morning at 8, so there really wasn't enough time to get it all out of his system. There was a strong discussion with few if any taking his side. When the truck was finally finished, they found him a load to the terminal and invited him to clean the truck out.

It wasn't clear if Melton had eyes here or if those who took the most exception to his getting stumble down drunk informed them.

REO6205 Thanks this.
  10. Capacity

Capacity Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Neenah Wi
    You'd be on the phone all night at the Big A in the back row , layed over all weekend.
    I vote no.

Wasted Thyme Thanks this.
  11. kemosabi49

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I'm pretty sure it was other Melton drivers on here that turned him in. But he did it to himself, coming on a public forum bragging about getting ####faced and driving the next morning. Some guys here tried to tell him to watch what he talked about on here but he just didn't get it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.