OTR Definition

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by tbdieseltrucking, Jan 5, 2017.

1. tbdieseltrucking

tbdieseltrucking Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2017
    Stuck in a Rut
    Same here. Started driving in 1998... clean record, lots of different trucks and job sites. Ran only Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts. Declined on no OTR experience. But put a rookie in the truck, right out of school....no problem..sign right up.

Ke6gwf Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PizzaGuy805

PizzaGuy805 Bobtail Member

Nov 3, 2016
    SE Wisconsin
    The dreaded "over qualified" predicament. :confused::(:mad:

4. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    A lot of companies mainly the ones that doesn't require much exp rather not hire over qualified drivers because they can't train those drivers to be their puppets.

5. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    It almost sounds as though a truck driver becomes less hireable as he or she becomes more experienced, at least with some companies. That is not only a messed up situation, but a very dangerous one. HOLY MOSES!

6. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    I am not a truck driver, however, I would positively call you an OTR truck driver if you have hauled freight to and from all 48 states and 2 provinces in Canada. Not having been out for more than 2 weeks does NOT change your job description. HOLY MOSES!!

7. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I know it.Goes to show they re not as desperate for drivers as some think they are.A lot of companies would rather hire newbies then ones with exp to keep the pay low and like I said they want puppets.

8. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    This!!!

9. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Even regional is a relative term. What is that? One state? two? Less than 13? I am out all week, pretty much keep myself between mid NE and the PA/OH line, and stay primarily I-70 and north. Some would consider that regional. But it is doing as much or more than anyone covering the rest of the country. Milwaukee, Chicago, St. Louis, KC, Toledo, Detroit, Cleveland.... maybe not NYC or Frisco, but each with their own unique problems. Maybe no big grades like in the Rockies, but some very interesting back roads that will pucker one up just as much. Heck, anyone can crawl up a 8 mile grade on a 4-6 lane major highway. It is the dropping down a 7-8% grade on a rural two lane road with a 20 mph corner at the bottom, at night, in a snowstorm, with 46,000 lb in the box that tests a person's metal. But that would still be regional to some degree.

The whole idea of needing XX amount of time OTR is a cop out. It means absolutely nothing. I was told after I moved down to the lower 48, that my time driving all of Alaska and Yukon for 10 years was regional. Really? With Alaska being 2.5x the size of Texas, having taller mountains and passes than the rest of the U.S., and crossing countries and doing YT in Canada, that is regional? Yep, according to idiots that live in cubicles.

not4hire and born&raisedintheusa Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.