OTR Drivers - How often do you get online?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Bullwinkle, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Texas
    I think I will end up going the wireless route via Cingular since that is who my cellphone service is through if I end up back out on the road. I was never one that liked to spend much time at truckstops unless I had to, so being able get some maintenance done on my websites while I am waiting for a load, or waiting to unload will really help.

The truckstop thing will be my last resort because I use the big truckstops as little as possible. Fuel, Shower, and leave. If at all possible, I search out the smaller independants which are getting harder and harder to find, but they are the ones I will support in any way possible. Not to mention, less people begging for money, for a ride, no lot lizards, and as for another thread going on here, the bathrooms smell better, LOL.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. qcommkiller

qcommkiller Light Load Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Jefferson City, MO
    After almost 3 years OTR, I finally broke down and got myself a cingular aircard, and I love it. Before that I used the regular wifi at the t/s which is okay, provided you are parked in a good area for catching the signal. Now, no matter where I park, I have a good signal. I'm kicking myself for waiting as long as I did to get the aircard!!!

4. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    I couldn't use cingular. Them and at&t (now the same) use a different type of cell tower all together. I have a us cell tower in my neighbors back yard and that is the ONLY cell service out here.

5. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Maybe this is discussed further in the thread. Could it be tax deductable though? Just wondering:biggrin_255:

6. Cerberus101

Cerberus101 Heavy Load Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Georgia

doubt it. all the taxes are the fcc charges and all the other b.s. that phone companies like to throw on there. and if it was at all posible to be tax deductible i don't have enough deductions in a year to mess with it. besides i need over 5000$ in deductions a year to make it worth it in my tax bracket.

7. MedicineMan

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    my companies supplies most everything for me so I don't come close to the amount of expenses I need to even make it worth my while to itemize.

8. keelady

keelady Light Load Member

We go online using a Sprint card. The cost is comparable to the Cingular as is the coverage. Haven't found anywhere I didn't get a signal yet. Nice thing about the air card over the TS Wi-fi is that you can use it when you're stuck at a shipper/receiver. It has also come in handy on the occasional load where the company doesn't have directions because it is a new shipper/receiver. We've gone online and gotten directions from mapquest (just type in the address) and then go to the atlas to make sure the roads are truck routes. Really handy since we haven't gotten GPS on the truck yet. I don't like going online while going down the road (while the co-driver is driving of course). The bouncing of the truck tends to make it difficult to type and use the touchpad or mouse. I will do it in an emergency, but I tend to wait until we're stopped. Great for checking out weather conditions where you're going also. I'm always amazed at how quickly the weather can change when you're driving. Yesterday we left 78 degrees in CA, drove through a blizzard in Flagstaff, to thunderstorms in TX. Nice to know in advance so you can plan for it. There are so many different ways to get online now while on the road. Just do your research and choose whichever way works best for you.

9. MedicineMan

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    I found the sprint coverage to be horrible. not to ention they flt out lied to me so I promptly returned it.

10. rosalina

rosalina Light Load Member

Mar 28, 2007
    folks, i have a new laptop that i am taking with me if i go on the road, do any of the companies have wirelessonboard for a laptop? I can get it wireless thru verizon for $80 a month but that is high. but i can be on the internet anywhere veriozon goes.

11. the pope

the pope Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Orlando
    google maps is also another great website to look up directions. it even has live traffic updates. if you want something more portable, it has google maps mobile for free.

www.google.com/gmm

download it to your phone and purchase a bluetooth gps receiver (60 bucks on ebay) and you have a navigation system at a fraction of the cost.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.