OTR in 93 Pete 379 3406B?

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Gumper, Jan 15, 2018.

1. mtoo

mtoo Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired on bended knee
    That first generation 18 speed came out in 1988, I had one in a new pete I ordered. It's a single overdrive, I liked that transmission better than the newer double overdrive 18 we have now. I think it's a .82 top gear

after that truck I never went back to any transmission other than 18 speeds

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    Oxbow Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mslashbar

mslashbar Medium Load Member

Jul 22, 2009
    elizabeth,co
    I wouldn't worry too much about the cruise control if you're running a lot in the mountains, you won't be using it much anyway. I've got a 90 379 and wouldn't even think of trading it for a new truck

Oxbow and wore out Thank this.
  4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    GRAB IT!!! It doesn't get any better that this. Pre-emission trucks are in high demand today. Somebody gonna get a nice truck. You will absolutely fall in love with it, guaranteed.

Oxbow and Grubby Thank this.
  5. V c2c

V c2c Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2016
    Waco Texas
    What is the true mileage of it? Not sure if I missed it. But I’m feeling the same as some others. Overpriced. Can’t fall in love with the idea of the cool hood and Pete ornament. Look at it like any other truck(tool). U wouldn’t buy a used impact for $350 when there was one next 2 it that was less worn and newer 4 a cheaper price. Only way I could see paying 30k is if was professional overhaul with warranty and the rest of Truck was immaculate. Just my 2 cents. Take it as u will

6. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I think 30 is a little high but if it's well cared for and needs nothing but a load..... they are all a gamble just finding the bet you can live with. If a B or mechanical C is set right a 475 Acert is gonna have a hard time staying with it unless it's been toyed with.

Being a 93 it's most likely a mechanical C, really not enough different from the B to get fuzzed about. The key is not all the new parts it's had recently, but how well it's been took care of from. Day 1

SAR, Oxbow, Diesel Dave and 2 others Thank this.
  7. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    One bad thing is its not a unibunk so you'll lose some space inside and it'll ride a little rougher. C-models are good engine but I'm not sure about running away from any e-model. Running hills l wouldn't count on much more than 6.5 mpg. Pete uses lots of aluminum castings so really check for corrosion issues everywhere. I think its pricey. Up here as soon as its not a unibunk the price drops significantly. Btw some if those old 18's were direct so make sure of the gearing. 16-1700 at road speed is ok for mechanical cats.

8. mtoo

mtoo Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired on bended knee
    @Gumper keep us posted on what you do. When you go look at it, take some pics. Us old Pete/Cat guys are curious.

Edit; old Paccar/Cat guys

Oxbow and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  9. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    I’ll keep you updated. It’ll be a few weeks before I get time to go that direction. I,
    like a lot of guys, have a soft spot in my heart for the old long hood trucks. Have to use my head thoug, so it’ll have to come down there whichever truck is more practical. The other truck over in that direction is newer, but the Detroit has 500k miles on it. Pretty dirty inside too so that speaks a little to how it’s taken care of.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  10. Pup97

Pup97 Light Load Member

May 30, 2016
    I run a B model everyday. I drove electronic trucks then bought my own with this B model. Watch gauges and all set. Easy on the foot it's easy on the fuel. You'll learn how to drive with your left foot on the pedal after awhile lol. I've been looking at them cruise set ups only 600.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  11. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    The cruise control thing will drive me nuts, so fixing that would be priority #1. Only other thing that concerns me in the power level. We have an 03 KW T800 with a 435 C15 with a 10 speed that’s a dog. It’s a strait truck that fully loaded is 61,000. Hopefully the B engine has a little more umph, or can handle being turned up a little.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.