OTR not for me. How Do I get into LTL, Linehaul, FedEx, etc?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by sventvkg, Jan 3, 2021.

1. macher

macher Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2020
    yep I meet Estes line haul drivers all the time.

See the problem is money right and how much you make and home time and how much money you need to make.

For instance my current start is 8:00am and 99% of the time I’m on my way home by 4:30pm. I can work OT if I want. But if I don’t 40 hours is plenty. I could get a line haul job and make $95k but I don’t need $95k.

So my 40 hours is plenty and I’m home by 4:40 pm every day. For me this is good for me and wouldn’t change this to make more money and not being home like I am. I might even go on a 6:00am start soon and be done by 2:30pm ‘ish.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. laaylor

laaylor Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Creston, Wa
    Geez! I’ve been doing this 18 years and every so often: I still learn something about it!

4. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    You better preach!!! I just began my 12th year, and I still feel like I could get better

laaylor and Wasted Thyme Thank this.
  5. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    Since I'm back out on the road for 3-4 nights at a time with the food-grade stuff(company dropped all the local shuttling we were doing after being there for five years), I'm beginning to think these line-haul/extra board things might be right up my alley with the time commitment and earnings. Of course that would mean switching back to the boxes from tanker(at least it ain't a mega carrier box) and having to deal with the crippling headache of moving/relocation/apartment/house-hunting(no kids or wife, just need someplace for my cat and my model train layout).
    But after all of that headache, that $96k/year would definitely do me right. Especially with this pandemic where I just go to work, do my 2-3 runs, head back home for a few days and hang with my cat inside the house. Perfect position for the "grumpy old cat guy".

dwells40, jmz and sventvkg Thank this.
  6. sventvkg

sventvkg Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2017
    I left the OTR company. Been offered a few jobs already. The best one is delivering flowers up the east coast. 3-4 days out, 2 days off. Decent $$. Gotta get the experience in. Another one I’m talking to is auto transport. 5 days out, weekends off. Really good $$ as it’s percentage of load and I’ll be trained in that specialty which I have an interest in.

Attached Files:

bryan21384 and bentstrider83 Thank this.
  7. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    Missed another call for the "regional OTR" position up in Denver. I'm still assuming that's actually extraboard linehaul. Returned the call in an irritating game of "phone tag" and hopefully I get called back about on Monday or whatever. I'm beginning to think my application fillouts might be more of a coping mechanism when I'm having a rough couple of days to waiting on clean tankers with the current outfit.

On top of that, it seems as though the Denver metro is still hurting for all segments of drivers. But especially the LTL and regional segment. Put in apps for some place that won't require a troublesome license switchover(anything in ABQ), or warm weather and slightly cheaper living(Phoenix area) and I never get a call back. And if I do, it's hesitance in the hiring("thanks for coming in, we'll call you again later"). But without fail, companies in Denver don't seem to care whether I live in the area yet. It's always: "Deal with the living options later. WHEN CAN YOU START?"

bryan21384 and sventvkg Thank this.
  8. macher

macher Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2020
    Any local jobs available?

9. macher

macher Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2020
    Really depends how much income you need. I mean you can go local with JB Hunt Intermodel and make $55k a year. I know a guy who I talk to at the pump and that’s what he makes he’s home every night and work 10-11 hours a day tops. That’s all he needs. He was OTR and made more but he wanted a local job and knew it would pay less.

I was having a discussion with my dispatcher about this. I make $27.72 an hour so that’s $58k base. Let’s not count over time. Dispatcher said that OTR truckers although might make $75k their hourly rate is nowhere near my $27.72. He said they might as well work at Amazon.

My argument was it’s a matter of perspective and how much income someone needs. The bottom line is that the OTR driver is making more income than me whether he drives / works longer on the ‘clock’ is irrelevant. He’s making $75k and I’m making $58k. Yea I might be only working 8 hours a day to make that but I’m not making $75k.

Let’s say I needed $75k gross income from my job? That means I need to make $17k in overtime. That means I need to work 8 hours a week consistent overtime to make $75k. Remember overtime isn’t guaranteed anyway especially now with the pandemic.

I talk to a JB Hunt intermodal driver when I see him at the pump. He works 10 hours a day average and makes about $55k. My dispatcher says he’s making peanuts. I said it’s subjective. Dispatcher said he can work here and make $27.72 and only work 8 hours lol. It’s not easy to just come where I work and jump right in. He’s happy making $55k and working 10 hours a day and is usually done by 4:00pm.

It’s subjective.

bentstrider83 and sventvkg Thank this.
  10. sventvkg

sventvkg Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2017
    pepsi, Coke, Sysco, Beer distribution..I applied at all. So far nothing. Crappy paying $18-$20hr stuff is also available but not enough $$. Nothing local pays that great besides the food distribution. Pepsi and Sysco have passed on me so far.

11. macher

macher Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2020
    You understand the more local you get with a good paying job like Sysco or US Food for example the harder you’re going to work until you work you’re way up to the easier runs.

Here in Philly those jobs you mentioned are union and pay well. I know there’s somewhat of a turnover because in the beginning you have to work hard unloading and delivering. If you’re young and can handle that then as time goes in it gets easier. I’m pretty familiar with those jobs at least in my area. Wage and benefits are top notch for the most part.

I remember last year I was talking to a US Foods driver and he opened his door. It was a 48 footer filled to the max. 90% on lift gate. Lot of pallets he had to break down and put on hand truck.

My first driving job was with Coke.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.