OTR not for me. How Do I get into LTL, Linehaul, FedEx, etc?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by sventvkg, Jan 3, 2021.

1. sventvkg

sventvkg Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2017
    nope. I paid for my own CDL so I had options bud...To feel out the industry but thanks for your opinion on the matter!!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I've done the nighttime linehaul thing. It's easy money, but be assured it's not as easy as it looks. Trying to sleep during the day absolutely doe NOT agree with everybody. It sure didn't agree with me.

There are ways to the 9 to 5 thing that you're looking for in the LTL business, but you won't be making six figures at it. If you want that kind of money you'll have to work for it, and if you want to work days that means taking a long run that goes at least 2 hours or from the yard. On top of that, you'll have the commute to deal with, as opposed to the OTR drivers who shut down wherever they park. Basically, it's picking your poison.

Remember, the grass may look greener on the other side, but it's still grass.

4. sventvkg

Mar 5, 2017
    Im good being out for a week. That’s fine. I’ve seen the Estes guys that go out for a week then come home. Seen a LOT of jobs advertise that but I don’t have the experience. So just looking for a viable path that maybe I’m not seeing.

I’m not miserable or crying out here. I just know it’s not for me and I’d rather not sit here in this 4 month long BS training process this company has when I know I’m moving on. I never had any intention of being a company driver here, was gonna lease then buy my own truck....

5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Then it sounds like Estes extra board is what you need.

Take heed though. When it gets busy, chances are at the end of your week you'll be off just long enough to satisfy the 34 hour requirement and then you'll be back at it.

@KaoMinerva and @jtaran06 could tell you more.

6. Muskie

Muskie Medium Load Member

Feb 27, 2019
    Start applying at the terminal within 75 miles of your home. Never know if safety will bend the 1 year experience rule. Go slow at your current employer, OTR, don't make any mistakes. At worst finish your one year at current employer knowing you'll be getting a much better position at the end of one year.

sventvkg Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Where is your location; probably get some job leads on this forum.

McUzi Thanks this.
  8. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    sventvkg where abouts do you reside?

9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Never know unless you try. A few drivers on this forum went to trucking job fairs and Estes hired them right out of cdl school. Evidently, Estes has some flexibility, but don't advertise it.

austinmike and sventvkg Thank this.
  10. sventvkg

Mar 5, 2017
    The Orlando area, based out of. Sanford, FL.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  11. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I laughed at this post a bit, but everything said is one hundred percent true. Many folks look at trucking and have this glorified image of it in there head. They don't realize the lifestyle change in it. I'll add, in USA, the probability of making high dollar and working 5 days a week isn't high regardless of industry. If you want more, you have have to give up something. It's the way it is. My wife told me about her cousin who just started driving. He recently quit. His company sent him up to Washington and he went up the mountains and it was a little snow. He talked about he almost slid off a cliff. After he delivered, he got a load to his next dropoff and his reload was going to send back to Washington. He tried to refuse but the company told him that he could find somewhere else to work if he refused. He said, "My life ain't worth one load." It sounded stupid to me because the snowfall wasn't that big of a deal to where it would have killed him. Now he is looking for a different company with barely 3 months in. He thinks he will find a company that doesn't have to deal with bad weather. Point being, it's the nature of the beast. There will be wait times and down times. OP, you gotta try to stick it out 1 year to open up your options.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.