OTR not for me. How Do I get into LTL, Linehaul, FedEx, etc?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by sventvkg, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    Oh I agree OTR isn't for everyone. Wasn't disputing that. But OP is saying it is waiting. Waiting will always be a part of the job. Plus if he's consistently sitting 12-34 hours. Something is seriously wrong.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    The waiting is the company causing it, not the driver.
    Waiting for me was ok as long as I knew in advance and received detention pay, plus know to have some food in the truck. Never had to wait that long though.
    Those line haul jobs usually pay better than OTR, plus you're home every day or almost every day.

4. sventvkg

sventvkg Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Exactly. What I’ve found out here and even before I came is there are 1000000 ways to skin this cat. There’s a lot of ways to do the trucking thing. My goals were to become an O/O drive Landstar 6-8 months a year: might still do that. I always knew I wasn’t going to be a runner. So what? There’s a lot of ways to do this and thank you very much to those why try to help others, me included, navigate our way through it all. Is a journey in a very wide field that I’d venture to surmise most people do not have broad experience in the many facets of. Also, you never really know what you’ll think of something, like over the road, until you try it so I tried it. Not gonna be a long term thing for me. I don’t have to be home every night either! Is there something in between? Sure there is. That’s trucking!

Gearjammin' Penguin and dwells40 Thank this.
  5. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    Agreed. That is why I didn't blame him. But someone's screwing up if he's sitting that long.

6. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Well....we don't know if it's a constant thing. It's really not that relevant. Fact is, it's a hurry up and wait industry, and folks are not necessarily patient, and I'm not even saying the OP is impatient, I don't know him. Just for some people, to sit and wait at Tyson for 10 hrs may be painful as detention pay isn't as good as driving pay. OTR is unstable because of that, particularly in the reefer division at times. You'll see as you gain more experience. I give no cares to delays. I'll order some chinese to the truck and take a nap. Now OP's trainer could be using that down time to practice backing, or teaching non driving stuff about trucking. It's a lot to learn about this industry that ain't centered around driving.

Wasted Thyme Thanks this.
  7. bryan21384

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Sometimes it's the shipper. I've gone to this place in Boonville, AR that ships out mainly loads for Walmart and they have to be most disorganized and slow shipper in America. I was there 16 hours once. Got paid though. Then there are other shippers that don't start picking the order until the truck shows up, their excuse: "Drivers always miss pickup appointments." The latter instance, I'll say the company needs to plan better.

8. bryan21384

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Well you applied to Davis, and they are regional..that's the in between and they pretty much stay south; or if you go somewhere like Swift or Schnieder that has dedicated runs. They may pull for Walmart, Dollar General, or what have you. They ain't running all over the place. Hell you could probably get a dedicated run somewhere without having to leave Florida, can't really say. I've just heard of drivers living down there who do ok without leaving Florida. Chinatown gave you some ideas to try and if none of them are a go, do the year and then see what happens. A year comes and goes, and the whole playbook is opened up then!

9. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    If you don’t want to sit, you should haul fuel. Load and unload yourself

Danny707 and AModelCat Thank this.
  10. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    lol yea i remember all those thoughts and dreams i had during my first 6 months. At the petro round table. I getting 6 months and going local. home every night. weekends off and day shift.

11. gräkken

gräkken Light Load Member

Dec 13, 2020
    You can't leave the truck during a multihour wait? That's brutal. Here I am thinking I'd be unfolding a commuter bike & riding around. LOL

Lumper Humper Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.