OTR not for me. How Do I get into LTL, Linehaul, FedEx, etc?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by sventvkg, Jan 3, 2021.

1. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    Like I said, it’s 6 months with an approved school, otherwise 1 year. You can find those jobs on Indeed.

I’m surprised someone said OD is hiring with no experience, straight into linehaul while skipping the driver training school. I know with FedEx Freight, if you apply with less than the minimum requirements, the application automatically gets filtered out and the hiring manager never even sees it.

McUzi, sventvkg and bryan21384 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    Ok. You knew what the requirements would be, yet you didn't think they applied to you and/or you could convince them that those requirements were beneath you? I recommend you going with a company with a lot of liberties instead of a lot of rules.

REO6205 Thanks this.
  4. sventvkg

sventvkg Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Yea I know things open up at a year. I’ll do what I have to until then and then I intend to work my way up to a high paying type of position where I’m only out 5-7 days.

5. sventvkg

sventvkg Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2017
    No not at all. You didn’t read the thread. I have no problem with the training. Just being OUT OTR FOR WEEKS ON END HAS TURNED OUT TO NOT BE SOMETHING I WISH TO MOVE FORWARD WITH as soon as I’m able to. I didn’t know I would feel that way until I was out here and I now do. Not that I need to explain myself to you or anyone else but since I believe in helping people with obvious comprehension problems I chose to.

6. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
  7. Flyingdriver

Flyingdriver Bobtail Member

Oct 29, 2020
    Walla Walla WA
    I'm about 6 months into my first truck driving job. After reading this thread I feel like I lucked out. I took this job knowing it would end in 6 months to a year so I'll be done sometime in February. The farming company I'm working for is getting rid of their trucks & changing their program.

Luckily I'll have seven months experience hauling heavy loads into Portland, OR traffic & driving an 8-axle, 102,000# truck. I don't anticipate having difficulty finding another job. 13 speed manual tranny of course.

Like others have said, hauling local (430 miles a day) means long hours, generally I'm gone 13 to 14 hours a day with commuting. Having weekends off is wonderful. I'll be kinda sad when this gig is over.

Good luck OP with your search!

sventvkg, dwells40 and Wasted Thyme Thank this.
  8. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Man.....I'm all for helping you and giving advice, but that attitude tho....

Wasted Thyme Thanks this.
  9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    OD has been doing that for years. One whole cdl school class was hired by OD in PA and they had a choice of Line Haul or P&D.

jmz Thanks this.
  10. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    That was my feeling.

laaylor Thanks this.
  11. dwells40

dwells40 Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2017
    I went local after 4 month with Schneider! I felt just like you! Why should I stay out a month at a time for the same money! Got a home daily m-f weekends off! Could be happier! While I waited at shipper or receiver I applied to everything till I got one! Best of luck!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.