OTR TRUCKER SHORTAGE and Young Drivers

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Jay5GS, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Jay5GS

Jay5GS Medium Load Member

Jun 28, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Don't worry tankerp the veteran truckers eyes are going bad reflexes are shi! And the dot physical doctor's are tried of loosing their licenses over some greasy trucker who will toss them a few hundred bucks to pass them,

This game is gunna be exploited by us in the next 2 years

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Okay. You can have it if you want it that bad but I’d be careful what you wish for. You think they’re going to open up the bank vaults and start paying virgin drivers $90k year to start in a few years? Keep up the good thoughts but a monkey can do this job to the extent the expectation level has sunk to. So with that in mind .... don’t hold your breath.

4. Jay5GS

Jun 28, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for the reply s great feed back

5. TankerP

TankerP Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Holding the steering wheel
    Ahhh, the overconfidence of youth. Come back in two years and let us admire your achievements. As far as exploitation, it’s the other way around kid. I will gladly sell you my 900 sq/ft SoCal house for a bargain price of 900k. Good luck.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    #wishfulthinking Thanks this.
  6. #wishfulthinking

#wishfulthinking Light Load Member

Jun 9, 2018
    Central Iowa
    In order to do what your suggesting to get the wages to go up by exploiting the companies desperation to fill seats you need collaboration and cooperation from all the newbies entering the scene to be on board and do the same thing. This will take an organized effort on a grand scale. This has been an ongoing problem in trucking (and other industries) since these industries existed. The only thing that ever came close to improving the situation for truck driver's was the formation of the Teamsters Union and that was cut short by corruption. It's going to take a lot more than a few newbies demanding more from the start. I do like your enthusiasm though and I'd love nothing more than for you to prove me wrong. If you did, we'd all be benefactors.

mjd4277, bbq247365 and Jay5GS Thank this.
  7. Jay5GS

Jun 28, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for the reply ! Its just hard when I speak to these truckers at lay overs shippers ETC they all see it as gambling and that their to old to risk their jobs , but when you have an A you can get a job the nextday so why aren't young and Vet drivers exploiting this.

My mentor makes up all these excuses on why he's OK with making 36cpm with 12yrs experience . Everyone's favorite quote " Grass ain't always greener on the other side " but you never know what's on the otherside.

But man truckers Union would amazing , That's something I'm really interested in starting cause we deserve a fair compensation for loss of life/time Cause . I will continue to research how we start something and the industry it's head

8. #wishfulthinking

Jun 9, 2018
    Central Iowa
    Be careful about buying into the notion that you can "get a job the next day" Companies will not hire you if you've had more 3 or more jobs within 2-3 years. You may find yourself in an "unemployable' situation for a while, or end up working for a s### outfit for a few years to fix your employment history, or having to start all over again.

9. taodnt

taodnt Light Load Member

May 6, 2017
    North of Green Bay
    Sorry, reminds me of an old joke.....

One morning Bill Clinton wakes up and looks out over the snow from his bedroom in the White House and sees in the snow the words “F*** Bill Clinton”

He immediately call the FBI and orders them to find out who did this. Later that day the FBI chief came to give his report.

He says”We analyzed the urine, and it is definitely from Henry Kissinger. But the handwriting is definitely Hillary Clinton’s”.

AModelCat and #wishfulthinking Thank this.
  10. #wishfulthinking

Jun 9, 2018
    Central Iowa
    HA HA! I had forgotten about this joke until you posted it! Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

taodnt Thanks this.
  11. Jay5GS

Jun 28, 2018
    Los Angeles
    I agree with you on job hopping and Fing yourself but these companies need drivers so bad I don't think it matters much anymore,

Everyone is looking for better home time and most companies now are doing everything they can so the driver can return to the seat.

One company I know holds an orientation every week for 20 drivers each at 5 terminals pays for FOOD TRAVEL LODGE TRAINING they are a huge Carrier but not the ones you always see on the highway

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.