Our experience with Success Leasing

Discussion in 'Prime' started by billsgirl, Aug 25, 2009.

1. billsgirl

billsgirl Light Load Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Cheektowaga, NY
    I am posting this little thread about our experience with the lease Prime offers, which is commonly referred to as Success Leasing. Bill drove company for them for about 2 months. His miles were short, and there was a lot of downtime between loads. In our opinion, this is not a proven fact-it seemed that the lease drivers were getting the "good" loads. He was kinda made to feel bad in orientation that he was not leasing to begin with, so after some thought and consideration, we decided to go for it-take the ACE class and sign lease paperwork. Our intention was to run our a@#!5s off and make some money. We had no thoughts of consistent hometime, and planned to take days off when we could afford to, not because we were road weary or homesick, etc. Well, we went into it with eyes wide open but apparently not wide enough. I do believe that the current economy does factor into our situation, but to make a long story short, we have not had a paycheck in 7 weeks. The freight they offer simply does not support the truck well enough to make any money. Yes, I was riding with him, not driving, and that is an added expense-but with a $40 a week grocery bill at Walmart for food-it was not an UNREASONABLE expense. I got a ride back to our hometown yesterday, and my heart is breaking. I was so proud and happy to be back on the road with Bill-and it just hasn't worked out. I have plenty of concrete examples and dollar amounts, etc.... to back up everything I am saying. The lease deal is basically the driver assumes ALL the risk of the truck in the hopes of making a fair wage, and right now it is impossible to do. I have spoken to many other Prime lease operators in a similar situation. Bill's dispatcher flat out told him he was not doing anything wrong. I will be happy to go into greater detail to anyone who wants to hear the rest of the story but I really am hurting right now knowing that he can't afford TO leave and can't afford NOT to. I do believe that at one time Prime was a great company and I do not blame them completely. I do know, however that they get their 28% of everything he does and it's pure profit. I know that there are people out there who will rip me up one side and down the other. I have no reason to make any of this up. I could post extremely negative things about Prime based on our experience but what is the point. I commend anyone driving for them who is earning a decent wage and I am sincerely happy for anyone who is. Unfortunately for us, that is not the case. Oh, one more thing-instead of leasing a brand new Pete or Cascadia, we opted for a one year lease on an 07 Century with the hopes of reducing our fixed cost a little. Still in the hole about 1000.00 with no way out that I can see for the time being. Thanks for listening...annie
    PS For anyone who tried to warn us before, we shoulda listened!

truckerscott1959 and jlkklj777 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. Yup. Really bad time to do a lease deal anywhere right now with freight rates being as depressed as they are. The lease on the '07 was a good move in my book. Has or is Bill teaming with anyone? Running a team truck will get more freight, as will training. The other thing you can do right now is to minimize your costs as much as possible - that usually means slowing way down, and cutting your fuel bill. Do your own lubes.

You might want to have Bill get routed to Springfield or Pittston, and take the ACE II class - they'll take a look at his settlements for the last month, and see if there's anything they can suggest to turn things around for you. Also, a Come-to-Jesus discussion with Bill's FM is in order. People are making money on these leases... but I think this is a very difficult time to be getting into this end of the business.

Good luck!

4. billsgirl

Nov 30, 2008
    Cheektowaga, NY
    Thanks 4 writing! Bill is a little leery of running teams-the whole trying to sleep while someone else is in control of the truck thing kinda unnerves him. He had the talk with his FM last weekend when we were in Pittston-told him things needed to turn around or he would not be able to stay. I just talked to him-he is bobtailing 675 miles to Smithfield VA and he doesn't have a load when he gets there. We did a 600 mile deadhead not too long ago and it came back to bite us-so this one has got my head spinning. I agree that ACE 2 class is in order but to be honest, without a laptop and just by keeping track of fuel, any advances, the settlement amounts, etc.. I have been able to be within $25 or 30 bucks every week of his settlements (although they have been negative for a long time) so I think I do ok with that end of it, I just use a pencil and a calculator. I think I screw up with tolls cuz I don't know how much they are to run, if we get discounts, all that. We never expected to get rich or have huge paychecks every week, just want to earn a living and have our ducks in a row, pay the bills on time. Thanks again:biggrin_25517:

5. U2Exit

U2Exit Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2008
    WA and VA
    Sorry for your troubles... I found it odd that as Company Driver he thought all the lease guys go the better loads...

I have to hear it almost daily from the lease guys that they think Company Drivers get all the good loads.

I would guess that your husband was Company driver during the winter months... We all did some sitting around... myself, I did 13 on the road restarts (not counting home time) from Jan to late March... and not because I ran out of hours.

Wheels have been turning since April... 2600-3300 miles a week...Getting pre-planned loads on a regular basis, and when I dont get a pre-plan...I usually get a load fairly early the next morning after an evening unload.

6. billsgirl

Nov 30, 2008
    Cheektowaga, NY
    Yeah its funny, the company drivers think that they are getting starved in favor of the lease drivers and the lease drivers think the opposite. I tend to think if a load meant for a lease driver ends up with a company driver( like a load of a certain beer that pays horrible) then Prime would take a loss because they have to buy the fuel, pay the driver by the mile, etc. but who really knows, we were told that there no "lease" loads and no "company" loads and Im not too sure about that either. There are company FM's and lease FM's so it seems the freight would be set up that way too. The computer is supposed to look at over 100 different things before attaching a load to a driver that supposedly benefits the driver best but if that was completely accurate I don't think we would be over a grand in the hole. I think the computer and planners look at the available loads in the area and who is nearby to grab them. I don't want him to leave Prime, it looks so much better in the long run if you tough it out for at least a year before moving on, but man, it's been a lot more than tough. Thanks again for any input:) Oh one more thing, he has NEVER had a preplan. At least not one that he is aware of.

7. U2Exit

U2Exit Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2008
    WA and VA
    Thats the thing, the FMs (company or Lease) are paid by percentage of the revenue the trucks in their fleet produce... I would think that if one class of drivers (lease or company) were getting the better loads that the short changed FMs would be having a fit.

billsgirl Thanks this.
  8. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    I've had more than one FM - including my old one, Chance - tell me that really there is not supposed to be any difference. We all (O/O, L/O and Company) get dispatched out of the same pool of freight. First come, first served; teams for time-sensitive loads. The load planners may be trying to cherry-pick some loads to company drivers in order to maximize the return to the company, but I'm sure that's frowned on based on the way everyone is paid. You're right - the short-changed folks would have a fit.

billsgirl Thanks this.
  9. redneck31

redneck31 Light Load Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Ozark,MO
    billsgirl, i sent you a pm. email me if you'd like.:biggrin_25520:

10. billsgirl

Nov 30, 2008
    Cheektowaga, NY
    Thanks! I will do that in a few minutes!!

11. dogbone

dogbone Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Elgin Illinois
    I just started with Prime, Inc. and was seriously contemplating leasing a new truck with success leasing. I have been debating with my wife on whether it is a good idea or not. My wife has been saying that it is too risky for us right now because she is an unemployed paralegal at the moment. But she did agree that it would be a good idea for us to look at after she found work.

Today I have changed my mind about the whole deal. I will be a company driver in the southern regional flatbed division and I will like it.
    What changed my mind all of a sudden? I whipped out my calculator and started doing some mathematics.

It doesn't make sense for me to pay $141,696 for a truck (based on $758 payment, taking into account the 16 month reductions) that won't be mine when the lease is finished. The tire fund and mileage charges (based on a 2500 mile week), permits/licenses, flatbed equipment come to just over $60,000. And I don't know what the APU rental comes to but without it the lease is way too rich for my blood.

billsgirl Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.