Out of service for log book

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Jasonar15, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Not brave, honest.

Dude, I get it, I've been through the same bs with driver who could not fill out logs right.

Educate yourself, take a look at the links. Consider them part of the education.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl

I do it all the time.

When I go home,.. I am home for 2 - 3 weeks at a time. I am not writing Off Duty for every single day of 21 days. I take 1 page starting the day after I get home till the day before I went on duty,.. draw a 24hr line on line 1. Then in comments I write,.. "OFF DUTY - HOME TIME" and the starting date,.. and the ending date.

I've never had an issue. In your case the office was being a prick,.. or he possibly was a rookie who didnt know any better.Or as others have stated,... more to the story.

Hurst

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  4. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    With Elogs its a PITA.

My driver is on ELOG and neither of us has figure out how to manipulate the logs to where each day doesnt have to be signed and recorded individually.

I allow my driver to take as much home time as he wants. Be it 5 days,.. or 15 days. Its up to him and what his personal needs are. The way the ELOG service I am using works is that if he doesnt log in and write the truck #, start and end location and then sign it,..Each and every day,.. it will log it as a violation until its corrected.

Hurst

5. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    That's crazy. Couldn't be right. Have you talked to the people who make that elog to see if they have an answer?

I'm on Blue Ink Tech (BIT) and haven't taken more than a couple days off since I used it but I think all I have to do is 'verify log' then 'ok' for each day off, not quick but quicker than that.

06driver Thanks this.
  6. 06driver

06driver Road Train Member

May 28, 2017
    We just come in and approve logs. Could be one day, could be like this week three days or last month 3 weeks.

One button push and done.

1johnb and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  7. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I think I need to contact tech support. He's using a Tablet and blutooth to connect to the ELD. I have the admin login and can make corrections there if needed. The only complaint is when he's home and off duty.

I'll be the first to admit,.. I dont know very much about the user end of this thing. My driver has never been on paper logs,.. so it was natural for him to start with me on elogs. He was more comfortable with it than I was.

Hurst

06driver Thanks this.
  8. GoldDot40

GoldDot40 Light Load Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Athens, GA
    In Georgia, State Troopers (GSP) rarely ever have anything to do with truckers unless you violate a traffic law. In this case, the driver was on a truck restricted road...but even then, Troopers rarely ever ask to see logs or BOL's even. Usually just license and proof of insurance. It's quite possible this Trooper didn't know as much as he THOUGHT he did.

The FMCCO's that ride in vehicles that are labeled "Dept of Public Safety" on the door are the ones who usually exclusively with truckers in GA. State Troopers won't ever pull a truck over to do a random inspection. A few municipalities toyed with getting trained to do roadside inspections several years ago, but I'm pretty sure that balloon deflated pretty quick.

9. line

line Medium Load Member

Dec 28, 2017
    I’ve seen your posts Spyder , respect to your business and sense , I’ve taken many a wrong turn and ( almost ) bumped a few bridges . Mostly before computer mapping , relying on local or receiver directions . Sometimes you’re stressed, make a bad decision .The Geography is different especially if you’re a newer driver, it can be confusing. This hand here , like I said , maybe just in a hurry on day one , following the GPS which the OP said was truck specific . I’ve always been able to back my way out , turn in a wide spot , lucky that I didn’t have to call the law or a helicopter to the rescue but we’re all human . In the end he caught a break and was just put out of service , no harm , no foul . I think sometimes we expect others to be as on top of things as we are ourselves . We’ll just have to disagree on this one

10. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
  11. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Had a Tennessee state trooper tell me back in 2015 that Keep Trucking app on your phone wasn't a logbook.

Here is the bottom line. The police are always right and you can't tell them there wrong. If you do they see that as a hostile confrontation and will say something like "I'm giving you a break on ...." to make it seem like your really getting a deal not getting more tickets.

The police, the DOT, the DMV, the courts and everyone else always knows your job better than you when really they don't know anymore than the average person.

They make it up all the time. Things that might help in the future are the little green book at the truck stops and just avoiding anyone with authority. You can't argue with these people, and some(especially company drivers) think nothing can go wrong because there doing nothing wrong

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.