Out of state CDL test

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by phillyg212, Jul 26, 2020.

1. phillyg212

phillyg212 Bobtail Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Hey guys, i currently have a valid SC CDL-A permit, and i want to take my class B test in GA. (Long story short, our trucks here in SC wont pass the inspection.) I have a dump truck company in georgia wanting to hire me to drive for them. I was just wondering can i take my test in Georgia with a SC permit? I need this license for my family to do well. I've been a yard jockey for 2 years so i know how to back, and have used yard dog, day cabs and sleepers for trailer moves. I'm just wanting to get my B because their B trucks will pass.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    I'd call Georgia DMV about it, but I think you can. I took a permit from one state to a school in another state and tested there as well, they gave me a sealed package to take to my home state DMV, who opened it, did some stuff, and gave me a CDL.

phillyg212 Thanks this.
  4. phillyg212

Oct 14, 2012
    Thank you so much, I'm hoping GA allows that.

speedyk Thanks this.
  5. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    If their DMV won't or can't do it, perhaps a driving school with authorised testers can. Some of those will also rent you a truck for the test. That option might be available closer to home in your own state.

6. phillyg212

Oct 14, 2012
    Hey guys. I wound up going to tri county tech for my B. Same school my grandpa went to back in '92. God willing, I'll pass my test today. Third party.

7. seagreg

seagreg Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2019
    FYI, the deadline for rule §383.79 was July 8th, 2015

In theory a state MUST accept out of state skills tests.

I am not sure how many states are still out of compliance but there shouldn't be many left.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.