Out of State trucking company wants to run under my company's authority

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Florida Girlz, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Florida Girlz

Florida Girlz Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2018
    I have a company in another state that wants to run under my company's authority. Does the company that has the authority have to provide the tags or can the company that has trucks use their own tags?
    What would be needed to get started besides insurance and them putting my DOT info on their trucks?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    What am i missing here? Do you hold any special permits? This is the age of de-regulation, his operating authority would allow him to operate in your state

4. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    You can provide tags, or they can get their own. Either way is fine. If it's your numbers on the door, you are responsible for liability and cargo insurance, they are responsible for non-trucking (bobtail) liability. Make sure you have a contract in place spelling out exactly who is liable for what expenses and exactly how the revenue is split. Also, know that if your numbers are on the door, in the eyes of the DOT YOU are responsible and liable for everything they do including all accidents and violations.

brian991219 and Florida Girlz Thank this.
  5. SixShooterTransport

SixShooterTransport Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2018
    Why would another established company want to run under your authority unless they’ve messed up so bad that they can’t use their own anymore?

If that’s the case then why would you even consider putting your own company at risk??

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You are missing a lot, there is a huge hole in the story and anyone who has an authority should know the answer.

x1Heavy, roshea, Hurst and 1 other person Thank this.
  7. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    Lol. I know i know

8. Florida Girlz

Sep 25, 2018

9. Florida Girlz

Sep 25, 2018
    So the different state truck company owns trucks but doesn’t have their own authority. They have several trucks running with various companies with authority. I have never had anyone run under my authority but independent owner operators so that’s why I was asking to individuals that may know how that works with IFTA and IRP.
    I definitely would have a signed agreement.

10. Expeditor

Expeditor Medium Load Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Its the same thing, you are leasing independent contractors on to your company. This out of state company would be consider a fleet owner, just like independent contractor but with more trucks. IFTA can be done by them or you same with IRP. In this scenario a O/O would be the same as a Independent contractor if he drove the truck.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You have to by regulations have a lease agreement, there is no hand shake crap when you are the authority.

Get a lawyer to craft one for you, don't be one of these cut and paste idiots.

Also let them deal with the IRP stuff, let them deal with the plates, and insurance.

And make sure you have specific policies in place to make sure that they get the drivers annual reviews, their dot inspections and other required regulatory things.

But to be honest with you, OP, it sounds like you are doing this stuff to get by, not understanding what is really needed to do it right.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.