Over The Road Repair Shop Guide

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Cybergal, Sep 20, 2006.

1. raindancer

raindancer Light Load Member

Jul 30, 2007
    memphis,mo
    donnalou
    sure could use the freightshaker site
    thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckinpa16

truckinpa16 Light Load Member

Apr 27, 2007
    rochester ny
    to go along with brickmans post on how bad TA's are we have one right down the road in pembroke ny (exit 48a off of I-90) took them 27.5 hours to change the drums and shoes on the trailler.... if you think im kidding try it your self

4. trpldigit

trpldigit Bobtail Member

Dec 26, 2007
    selma nc
    one thing i have found out bout t/a if their mechanics couldnt make it as a burger flipper so they gave them a wrench and told them to just go fix it
    boy what a joke imho

5. Crash935

Crash935 Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2007
    Wyoming Mi
    Ive used the NTTS Breakdown site a couple of times. A few of the times i was in places where i thought there wasnt going to be anyone close to help me. Called the wife (dont have internet in truck) and was able to find someone within a few miles.

6. Sandlapper

Sandlapper Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2008
    Simpsonville, SC
    From my experience T/A is hit or miss. I have been to some good ones and Ive been to some bad ones. T/A in Baltimore Md has got to be the worst, The Conley Ga was a close 2nd. For the most part it seems like T/A doesnt really care one way or the other about my business that is the shop, restaraunt, fuel etc. I primarily use the T/A shop for emergency tires or PM if they are not too crowded. Most of the time I prefer Speedco for PM because they seem to care about my business a little more "attitude wise" than T/A and they are able to get me in and out of the shop a lot quicker. I drive a Volvo with a Volvo engine so I generally go to the Volvo dealer shop for Volvo specific problems and or maintenance. I have also been to some good Volvo dealers that care about my business "Vanguard in Atlanta Ga, Sweeten in Houston Tx, Volvo of Denver in Commerce City Co, Nextran in Orlando Fl" do good work, and stand behind their work but there are also a few I will never go to again "Shealy in Duncan SC, Westphal-Odell in KC Mo, Volvo of Charlotte in NC". Everytime I go to Shealy Truck Center in Duncan SC, closest Volvo dealer to my home, they fix the problem I came in with but mysteriously I end up with another problem immediately after I leave the shop and they charge to fix the mysterious problem they either purposely or negligently caused.

7. twinturbotrans

twinturbotrans Light Load Member

Feb 20, 2008
    NW
    NATIONAL TRUCK & TRAILER SERVICES BREAKDOWN DIRECTORY.

http://www.nttsbreakdown.com/ntts/programs/main/home.php

I'm sure most of you have it, use it, enjoy it...remember its a Directory.......so theres lotta good shops and theres lotta bad shops.....i like to use it for trailer washouts since i do lotta Nursery stock...but it has pretty much everything!

8. Bodino

Bodino Bobtail Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Chicago
  9. englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy Light Load Member

Feb 14, 2008
    Chilhowie, VA
    So far with my experience stay away from Martins Peterbilt in London, KY. Had them do an oil change and that is what they did... no filters etc.... I had them do a DOT inspection and the tech just walked around th truck and handed me the card. I refused to pay for it and went elsewhere. Now I am using Glades Springs Peterbilt of Bristol, TN. Exit 29 on I-81 in VA. They are very reasonable on rates. I asked them to check my rig out and they found all sorts of little issues that I have fixed on my own. I had them install an inverter (basically I had them make the cables and connect it to the battery) Their tech took 3 hours to do it while he was doing something else for me and the shop manager only charged me for an hour. I was heading out on a trip and lost an airbag on the sleeper, stopped in and in 20 min. I was on my way, they only charged me for the part and I hit the road. They are about as honest as I have seen and are there for your businss not just to turn a profit. They are open from 7:30 am to 8:00 pm M-F and Ithink they are open on Sat too. There is a Petro at that exit as well.... I try to use hem as they are 20 min from the house in VA so it is also very convenient for me for regular service type stuff.

10. bullhaulerswife

bullhaulerswife Forum Leader/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    I'm beginning to think that there are no decent repair shops out there anymore.

Last week we had a heck of a nightmare, all over an injector, that was under warranty. These "authorized shops" do NOT like doing warranty work, whatsoever.

The first shop, replaced the faulty injector, but charged us for the labor, which is wrong, since Cummins warranties the labor, if the part is ruled defective. Paid $185 in labor. Not more than 300 miles down the road the truck is knocking.

Second "authorized shop" states that the injector was not adjusted properly, and that it broke a push rod, sending into the motor. They tore the truck down, found the problem, after making him wait 8 hours, and then decided to let the truck sit, until someone decided that they were going to pay for it.

We had a total of two and a half days down time, for this. While he was at the second shop, he also had a rear seal replaced, as it was leaking. He just called me and said that the seal that was replaced is pouring oil all over. GGRRRRRRRRR.

These shops out there don't care about the driver, his down time or the quality of work that they put out. The only thing that they care about is the $$$$!!!

11. lionman

lionman Light Load Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Martinsville ILL
    Well I've been a OO since 1979 and I can tell you that there is going to be good n bad with every chain whether it's a dealership or a truckstop or a mom n pop place !!! The best thing I can tell you is to ask questions a lot of questions about cost n price n time ect ect ect before you put it in the shop n then if it's all good hold them to their story !!!! I prefer Petro for most of my tire n lube stuff but I don't buy tires from any truck stop. I keep 2 spares with me all the time n run on my own..

I shop the truck papers for deals on parts n service ect ect !!! I use Heartland Peterbuilt in Effingham ILL and use those rules on them with no problems. They treat me good and are only 30 mil from my house. I used to change my own oil at home but there is a place in Indianapolis Ind at ex#4 on 465 called Mr Fuel that has a self service oil change facility and supplies all the tools n oil n filters ect ect and you can stay in there all day greaseing your truck in the process if you want . It cost me less than 100$ to do the complete service there !!!!

I also just had a complete rebuild done on my 3406 CAT (more than a inframe) in Atlanta Ga by Southern Truck Parts for less than 12,000$ . They did what they told me they would for the agreed upon price without any games !!! You can't ask for more than that . They are on the SE side of Atlanta across the st from that old TA at ex 53 !!!! The truck runs GREAT !!!! I also do all my own brake work and anything else not too major . I have a local guy in Marshall ILL that does tire repairs or mount service for 20$ a wheel !!!

I order the tires out of the truck magazines for a price that includes shipping n have them delivered to his shop n go by for him to put them on !!! He takes the wheels off when I want to do brakes for 20$ a axle !!! LOOK FOR DEALS N HOLD PEOPLE TO THEIR AGREEMENTS N SCHEDULE SERVICE IN ADVANCE instead of waiting till it breaks !!! ALLWAYS ALLWAYS GET A ESTIMATE BEFORE THE TRUCK GOES IN THE SHOP !!!!

MuddyWaters and Travelinman Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.