Overall insight

Discussion in 'US Xpress' started by Jay87, Dec 29, 2022.

1. Jay87

Jay87 Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2022
    49B222B8-6D24-4DF8-9AF6-F2A0302F879A.jpeg This what holiday pay look like for some of us truck drivers who gave up those times to be with family and friends continuously and chose to work and still get on. A 5 DAY PERIOD I DROVE 1400 MILES (65mph X 10 Hours= 650 MILES THAT CAN BE LEGALLY DRIVEN) The first thing that’ll be said is “freight volume is low” or “you were in a bad area”. You never hear “my bad I f**** up” or “We’ll make sure this doesn’t keep happening”. I don’t care to boast or brag about driving a truck because I’m humble enough to know better. There’s a point in time when you got to expose the ugly truth about an industry to bring some type of awareness. This industry is a constant revolving door that’ll have you lose everything because there’s this, there’s always another driver to fill the seat motto within this business. You barely get paid for waiting and might find yourself chasing trailers 300 miles away and the gov’t wonders why nobody want to drive trucks. It has nothing to do with drugs at all on why there’s a high turnover but everything to do with pay and time and if time doesn’t equal the pay, then what’s the worth when everything is going up except a driver pay rate to be able to afford a place to live and provide for themselves comfortably.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2022
    nextgentrucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Got asked to do a hot load over New Years, said could load New Years eve.
    Two days from home, got to the shipper, closed for the Holiday.
    I feel your pain.

4. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    How soon can you get out of that lease?

What costs (if any) are involved if you do?

How much total driving experience do you have?

The Forum can help you find a better gig--with more $$$$$$$$.....

--Lual

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  5. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    So 2390 ish in expenses
    But only 2150 in income...

Calling it 1450 miles, youre running for 1.48 a mile... less expenses of 1.64 a mile... leaves you in the hole 16 cents every mile you drive.

Now as many of those look like fixed expenses, that improves with more miles but doesnt actually change your $/mile income at all, so the only way you can make money is to pray that you get miles. Get out from underneath that bs and actually buy a truck if you want to do o/o, or just be a company driver, no sense complaining about how bad of a deal it is now if you never did your research before signing

6. Jay87

Jay87 Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2022
    I can break my lease anytime I want with no cost but what’s owed for maintenance But let’s face it there’s always something that will be owed cuz their going to want to take it into shop and fix everything that’s not broken or need fixing. I have 5 years experience and a clean driving record but at this point I’m over the industry as a whole because I’ve lost more than I gained from driving trucks, literally. I stay out 30 days at a time and barely will refuse my loads even when they’re crap. I lost my apartment and barely can afford my car and insurance every month because of the low miles I get. I only manage to keep that because I know how to save

7. Jay87

Jay87 Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2022
    I been a lease driver before so trust me I’m not complaining about it. I’m bringing awareness to those who want to drive a truck from someone honest. It’s not about being a o/o cause how can you buy a truck without the funds to do so cuz we all know company drivers don’t make that great either.

8. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    @Jay87 --

I would submit to you--with all due respect--that....with 5 clean years under your belt...you can do MUCH BETTER than US Express.

Others here with that level of experience are doing quite well.

What endorsements do you have (if any)?

What city/state is closest to where you live?

--Lual

9. Jay87

Jay87 Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2022
    I don’t have any endorsements and I live in Florida

10. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    @Jay87 --

Ok....but be a bit more specific.

What part of FL? The Panhandle? NE FL (in or around Jax)?

Below Orlando?

Are you within an hour's drive of the Lakeland area?

Or are you nearer the "Space Coast"?

--Lual

11. UturnGirl

UturnGirl Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Texas
    Feelin' your pain. Subscribing so I can watch you get a better gig. Best of luck and wishing you a profitable new year.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.