Overhaul..question

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Call me hooper, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Call me hooper

Call me hooper Bobtail Member

Oct 21, 2019
    Thanks guys.. ama go for it today lol..i drive 8 hrs with my foot yesterday..no way i can do that for 5k miles

201 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bigtravelr

bigtravelr Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2017
    you'll get used to it I hardly ever use my cruise control anymore. You get better fuel mileage driving easy on the foot

Dino soar and 24kHotshot Thank this.
  4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    My foot don't like the pedal either.

As for breaking in. Not many people worry about it. Semi's, cars, motorcycles. They buy them brand new. And drive them. Engines don't seem to be blowing up.

Seems like the boss said 5k also when I got one of his new rigs.

5. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Break it in exactly like your gonna drive it every day. No need to give special treatment.

Oxbow, Dino soar, JPenn and 4 others Thank this.
  6. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Wait!!! You drove by foot for eight hours and have determined. You couldn't drive 5000 miles with put using cruise? What did you do back in the days before cruise? Were you one of the pull out the throttle guys?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    Bean Jr. and Tx Countryboy Thank this.
  7. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    A Sawed off broom handle from shippers dock with a string glued to end and tied off to dash so driver does not take eyes off road when turning cuz/control back on?

8. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I found out what that brick in the cab was for,,

9. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Rings require cylinder pressure to push them out against the cylinder wall, they do not have enough static tension to seat themselves. A hard breakin will shove them out against the cylinder wall for the hone peaks to wear the ring high spots down. This sharp hone pattern breaks off too .. Like a new file wearing out. When the hone is smooth you cant machine the rings any further so if they arent seated fully by then, too bad so sad. Low compression, high blowby and contaminated oil result.

Race engines are broken in at the burnout box and all the tests you can do will confirm this is effective. I dont recommend it that hard on non race applications but the point is anyone throwing out silly mileage numbers is full of crap. The compression and leakdown numbers immediately jump up after the first hard load. If you never load hard theyll never come up.

Run it pretty hard through the full rpm range and dont let it sit at any one rpm. Keep it varied. Youre crosshatch will be wearing down steadily.. The first hour is critical. Then change oil pretty soon, maybe 2000 miles. Itll be full of cast iron and chrome. On a gasser street car you lift off over and over to engine brake against the throttle. Vacuum will collapse the rings away from the wall and back onto the piston during the suction stroke, which spares some crosshatch for the power stroke when load is applied and useful honing can occur.

shatteredsquare Thanks this.
  10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    So how does that work with genset diesels? You can load them up to 100% with a load bank but they will only ever run 1800 RPM because that's the speed you need to generate a 60 Hz wave. They all seem to run just fine only ever being governed at 1800.

Not trying to stir up anything, just my personal observation.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  11. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    I don't know which is what or why, but I had a 95 f 350 that I bought new. I probably had 30k or so on it when we moved my in-laws from California to Idaho. Prior to that trip it always used a bit of oil. I was pulling an enclosed trailer loaded with their stuff, and after that 17 mile pull from Baker CA toward Vegas the oil consumption ended. That pickup had 305000 miles on it when I sold it, and other than glow plugs, a turbo pedestal, and the valve cover gaskets with the wiring running through them, the engine was trouble free.

Based on my experience if you drive just the way you're going to drive they will break in over time. I have never owned a new big truck, but friends that had them back in the mechanical days always said that it took 20k miles or more before they started pulling good. I assume it took that long for the rings to finish seating, but maybe it was just as much everything else loosening up a bit.

jamespmack and AModelCat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.