Overheight Semi Closes Sumner Tunnel

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by mjd4277, Nov 25, 2022.

1. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Too prohibitively expensive. The tunnels were already rehabilitated during the Big Dig project.
    There are still issues with leaks due to the salt water and air environment.
    Big Dig - Wikipedia

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Between here and eternity
    Yep, this explains everything. Now, I will bet a dollar to a donut, the driver will only get a "slap on the wrist"

Siinman Thanks this.
  4. mjd4277

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    In Massachusetts? Don’t bet on it!
    The State Police get HIGHLY agitated when they have to shutdown any of the tunnels because a CMV driver doesn’t pay attention to clearance height signs and warnings! Especially around the I-93/I-90 Logan Airport area.
    Usually it’s the straight trucks that cause problems and even then those drivers get raked over the coals,because they’re always knocking down overhead signs in the tunnels.
    The driver is from Ontario,Canada so maybe he forgot to convert meters into feet.:dontknow:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
    Siinman Thanks this.
  5. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    Russo turisto :)

JoeyJunk and cke Thank this.
  6. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Not gonna speculate on driver or abilities....But I know this area extremely well
    It’s is extensively marked long before 1a splits....At first signage 1a is still basically a 4 lane road with traffic lights...bout a mile before airport a right lane is added...shortly after and Very well marked the new right lane splits to the right for Sumner Tunnel
    The center(original right lane) is either or
    At the split
    So imho this is either a language barrier or severely not paying attention
    As for Mass getting really hot about this
    They will but usually to no avail...he’ll be ticketed...fined heavily...but allowed to sign summons(s) and move on
    While we(the US) has receprosity with Canada...and an American driver charged up there may have hell to pay
    It rarely worx that way in reverse...

Grouch and Siinman Thank this.
  7. mjd4277

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    I know it all too well myself-I used to work at Logan Airport(had a life before I became a truck driver). Always took that tunnel to my former exhalted place of work (unless the tunnel was closed,then you had to take the Ted Williams unless you got off 93 way before then and cut through Everett,Chelsea or Melrose). Mass RMV has a reciprocity agreement with Ontario so whatever tickets that driver gets Ontario will hear about it!

JoeyJunk, Grouch and Siinman Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.