Overnight parking in alsip ,IL

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by warrior12345, Aug 11, 2020.

1. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I looked at a pic on google maps and it looks like it is heavily used by locals. They parked their cars in the truck spaces to save their parking spots.

Suspect Zero Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
  4. MTN Boomer

MTN Boomer Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2019
    95 TH and 294. Bridgeview. There is a Denny's, on the right is a power line , wehave parked there.

LtlAnonymous and warrior12345 Thank this.
  5. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    Personally, I wouldn't park anywhere near Chicago considering what's been going on there lately. If it was me, I would park at the Petro in Monee.

warrior12345 Thanks this.
  6. jon69

jon69 Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2018
    Even the rest area off of i80 isn't safe.
    And that's a ways out of town.

JC1971 Thanks this.
  7. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    Last time I was through there they had electronic signs on the ramp warning about cargo thefts.

8. MTN Boomer

MTN Boomer Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2019
    Alsip is not Chicago, loaded out of there every day at 1 time. That's been a few years how ever early in the A M is better, .

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  9. Buc

Buc Medium Load Member

Nov 17, 2012
    Thats an old Google Maps image. The Thorntons thats there now has only been open a few months. Granted, I stopped there during the day at about 3 pm en route to South Holland a few weeks back, but I didn't see any cars blocking truck spaces (not yet, anyway). It looked like there may be about 70 or 80 spaces in that lot, but it's plenty spacious enough to navigate around.

For those curious, it's at the same exit as the Petro and Pilot on 57, just on the opposite side of the interchange.

Truckermania Thanks this.
  10. Suspect Zero

Suspect Zero Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    That is the Thornton's in Monee, I-57 @ exit 335, the one we were referring to is in Posen, I-57 @ exit 350.

You were correct though that the the Google maps view was outdated. I forced myself to detour a little on my way back from trying to get my DL renewed (what a cluster) and checked it out. The Bldg shown in the picture Google has is no longer, and the size of the lot as a whole is much smaller, appears part of it has been sold off to a storage unit place, but totally redone.

Looked like it would be well lit at night, don't know for sure at 1:15 in the afternoon.

New convenience store type bldg. with gas pumps on the 147th Street side, fuel island and Cat scale on the back side, access off Dixie Hwy. Free parking for I'd say approx 35 trucks. Might be a little tight across, spaces are on an angle but spaces looked wide so call it a draw. I could be wrong on that, it's hard for me to tell for sure anymore, been in a day cab with the bulk trailer to long I guess.

Also had paid/reserved parking for maybe 2 dozen more in a separate gated lot, $12 bucks a night. Looked like you need to pull up to keypad and punch in a code for gate to open, entrance and exit to this lot were both gated. Spaces looked wide and appeared to be more room across between those then in the free lot.

To the OP for future reference, if you find yourself in the same delivery situation again, for 12 bucks this would probably be the way I'd go. The neighborhood isn't top notch, but I wouldn't be afraid to walk across the lot to use the bathroom in the middle of the night either.

When I zipped thru at a little after 1pm today the free lot was just over half full and the reserved had 3 trucks in it.

11. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    Reason for edit: Got too local and specific
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.