Oversized precast

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by RollinThunderVet, Aug 29, 2019.

1. RollinThunderVet

RollinThunderVet Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Looking at my what would be first oversize load.
    Precast concrete at 11'4" wide. Run would be about 1700 miles.
    My question is this. How do you secure concrete that wide? My brain says no chains because it could break the concrete.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    How are they going to be bolted/loaded to the trailer? When I pulled for UPI (United Precast) here in Ohio, they were mounted by 'rebar screws' to a tripod, and I strapped (of course) for extra securement. BOL said no chains for me, also. This was 5 or 6 years ago, wish I had pix. Had a dumb phone back then...

This is not the best pic, but it's similar. Hopefully the OS/OD guys will chime in for ya.

[​IMG]

or, try this link: https://precast.org/2017/07/promoting-community-reducing-noise-precast-sound-wall/

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You also will find your turning speeds drastically reduced. Some of those are very tippy more than usual.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  5. booley

booley Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2008
    We hauled o/s precast for one company last year and chains were ok with them, with corner protectors. This year, different customer and they only let us use chains on certain pieces, with edge protectors of course. Some of their "finished" pieces (wall panels), they only want straps on...and they require us to put a twist in each strap to help prevent it from "flapping" and leaving a mark.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  6. booley

booley Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2008
    I always go around a corner real slow with these things, for some reason, they just feel funny... although, when you think about it, the center of gravity really shouldn't be too bad. I used to haul some structural loads that might get to about 12' in height, and if they put a heavy piece up near the top, you'd think about turning too quickly with that too...
    IMG_2402.JPG

whoopNride, Ruthless and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  7. CharlieK

CharlieK Medium Load Member

May 13, 2015
    Minnesota
    I've used pieces of rubber belting,
    Or these... I've only used chains though, never straps.

CP.jpg

whoopNride, x1Heavy, Ruthless and 3 others Thank this.
  8. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    You can still strap it. If it's at all rough or sharp protect your straps of course.

Keep in mind that the angle of your straps is less than ideal so use a few extras.

beastr123 and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  9. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Colorado
    What kind of precast? Walls, Double T's, pipes, columns, etc?

Lots of times they'll have lifting shackles built in, so you want to work with those. And just like all concrete you only want to crank down when fully supported over the dunnage.

10. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Similar to my tripod. No chains, tho? Yeah, one sided would feel funny. I had double banked.

FerrissWheel Thanks this.
  11. FerrissWheel

FerrissWheel Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2015
    NV
    As lonecowboy said, it depends on the precast, ive already had my indoc/training on all our products from coreslab. And it really depends.

It also depends on how the factory loads the stuff. In our case the double T which i posted elsewhere is more fragile than sheetrock. T beams are thick but we still only throw 3 straps on each end over the dunnage. Flat slabs, chains over dunage and straps for the diff, hard to break. Not impossible.

The way we have found to do our double Ts is 3 over the front dunnage, three straps over the rear dunnage, and only 1 saftey chain ran through the crane eylets on top and down over the thickest part near the T section pulling slightly back with edge protection.

Our load bearing walls have frames for support, which let us get very agressive with the securement on those.

Heres an example from the other day for visual on both a double t and flat slab 20190828_073416_HDR.jpg , but not knowing what kind of precast, or how its loaded cant say for sure. No onsize fits all really. And on the slabs we chain through eyelets. There are more towards the front too.

Might have an example of the load bearing stuff, will see. Will have to edit it. Its an interesting frame we use.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.