Overtime for local Ontario truck drivers? A lot of confusion

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Rayzala, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Rayzala

Rayzala Bobtail Member

May 18, 2018
    I work at a place that doesn't pay overtime. Its illegal and people usually lawyer up and get what they're owed after quiting but they get away with a lot. But the other day one of our most senior drivers got fed up and went in and demanded it and started telling all the other drivers.

So now the company is talking about going back 2 years and paying us for what we didn't get. The issue is there is a lot of confusion on when overtime kicks in.

I am a local city driver who ocasionally does regional runs. Most of the time I'm not more than 50km away from our yard.

Hours of work - Motor transport - Canada.ca

At the bottom of this link on the canada.ca website it says 45 hours for city motor operators....

https://www.ontario.ca/document/industries-and-jobs-exemptions-or-special-rules/transportation

Yet here it says local drivers & helpers don't get it until 50 hours in Ontario

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/kitchener-driver-overtime-pay-1.5295025

And here there's an article about a driver who didn't get paid overtime at Loblaws and 8it states:

"Last year, an arbitrator found Loblaws violated Ontario's Employment Standards Act for not paying drivers overtime after the required 44 hours a week."

Extremely difficult to find an answer on this was hoping we have some Ontario drivers here who can clarify.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Are you driving under a federal or provincial CVOR? That determines whether you're regulated by the federal or provincial labour regulations. After that, it's easy(ier).

4. '88K100

'88K100 Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2020
    What did company tell you when you hired on? Local drivers( hourly) get overtime after 45 hours,,now this was 1978 in Ontario and still as far as I know...Used to work 4 8s' and a 9 on Friday,,company always tried to avoid OT

5. Rayzala

Rayzala Bobtail Member

May 18, 2018
    How would I check this?
    My CVOR paperwork has in Ontario logo on top of it
    So I'm guessing provincial?

6. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    It's the company's CVOR you're interested in (it will be on the copy in the cab). All of it will have the ON logo, regardless of federal or provincial. If you're driving for an interprovincial carrier it's federal labour laws that apply and provincial if you're not. You need to know the difference because even if you're only local, the carrier might not be. Also, some carriers have different divisions under different legislation.

Rayzala Thanks this.
  7. Rayzala

Rayzala Bobtail Member

May 18, 2018

I've looked through all my paperwork in the truck and can't find anything specifying that it's federal or provincial. However I did find a link with a list of federally regulated companies (although from 2017) and my company was on it.

8. Rayzala

Rayzala Bobtail Member

May 18, 2018
    They didnt mention anything. I didn't think to ask because I didn't think of it, just assumed everyone got OT after 44 hours but according to not4hire it depends on if the company is federally or provincially regulated. It seems im federally regulated according to a list I found online with my company on it.

So I assume this now means I should be getting OT after 44hrs. I've been working 11, 12 hour days on average for the last year and a half ive been with the company so I got some calculations to do.

9. '88K100

'88K100 Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2020
    Dirt merchants can get away without paying OT because its considered seasonal even though they could work you 365 days a year.

10. Rayzala

Rayzala Bobtail Member

May 18, 2018
    UPDATE: Received my paystub today and got...0.75 hours of overtime. They're trying to only give overtime after 60 hours.

I confirmed that this is a federally regulated company. My title in the system is 'Local & Regional AZ Driver' (although it was 'Local AZ Driver until 4 months ago when I started doing regional runs once a week).

So shouldn't I be getting overtime after 45 hours?

Then again in that first link I provided (Hours of work - Motor transport - Canada.ca) it defines a 'city driver' as:
    City motor vehicle operator
    Means a motor vehicle operator who operates only within a 16 km radius of his or her home terminal and is not a bus operator.

So if I am driving outside a 16km radius in the city doing 10-15 pick ups and deliveries a day, sometimes not even going on a highway at all, would I still be considered highway driver by that description?

11. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    I think your sol. I don't think it matters what they label you as when they are a federally regulated company. That's the 60 hour get out of jail free card for them. The kicker is the government tried to help out drivers but most of the non federally regulated companies are small inter provincial ones who probably can't afford to pay overtime at all much less after 44.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.