Overtime laws in MA.

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by Cat1, May 27, 2017.

1. Cat1

Cat1 Bobtail Member

May 26, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Time and a quarter is say you make $20.00 an hour. Over time @ time and a half is $30.00 an hour. Time and a quarter is $25.00. They take the Overtime rate which is $10.00 an hour and slice it in half. Heres your time & heres your quarter.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tow614

tow614 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2013
    I understand the jist of your statement but completely disagree.
    The misconception that anyone "CAN" do it is what is leading to all these accidents and added driver assist features to compensate for the fact that in reality NOT ANYONE CAN DO IT.

driverdriver Thanks this.
  4. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Road Train Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Retired in Taunton Ma
    When I worked part time for Wells Fargo Armored in Ma ,they never paid overtime even though we crossed state lines.

5. Cat1

Cat1 Bobtail Member

May 26, 2017
    Massachusetts

6. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Road Train Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Retired in Taunton Ma
    No but some day guys were putting in 70 hours a week

7. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

Man, i wish i could have the option for time and a quarter for overtime. Its straight time all day long for.... 73.25 hours this last week actually.

Labor laws- to protect workers compensation. Except truck drivers. I guess were not actually working. Lol.

Disclaimer, im not #####ing. I like my job and am compensated fairly for the work i put in. Just poking jabs is all.

8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

The Fair Labor Standards ACT (FLSA) specifically exempts truck drivers from the REQUIREMENT to be paid over-time after 40 hours of work. There are drivers getting paid overtime, but that is voluntary and/or required by contract. It is not required. State lines have nothing to do with it.

9. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Yep! Grouped right in there with seasonal crop pickers,,, professional seasonal crop pickers for those who claim trucking is a profession:)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  10. Cat1

Cat1 Bobtail Member

May 26, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Screw the government. I don't care what they say. My policy is , If I agree to work by the hour and If the company or owner refuses to pay me time and one half after 40 . Then they ain't worth working for. They can "Take their job and shove it."

11. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Same should apply the other way, too. Suppose I REALLY want a job, because I would learn a skill that would position me for steady work at great pay once I become proficient. Suppose there really aren't any "training" positions available because the minimum wage is higher than it is worth to employers to take a chance on that unskilled worker and teach them the job. Shouldn't I have the right to say "screw the minimum wage" and offer to learn on the job for a lower wage that WOULD be worthwhile for the employer? Hell, if I had $10-20K I could pay go to school and learn the same stuff in 2-4 years as I could in 6 months on the job. So why can't I say "I'll take a job making $4/hr for the next 6-12 months to develop a skill that once I have will demand $25-30+/hour in the decades to follow."?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.