Overweight on tandems violation

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by highway666, Oct 21, 2018.

1. highway666

highway666 Light Load Member

Feb 14, 2018
    San Pedro, CA
    I picked up a 35k load out of that Lowe’s DC in Lebanon, OR. They had a scale there and it said I was at 68kish gross. The truck has a “axle load” gauge and it told me my drives were around 22k with the trailer tandems set a lil after the 40 foot mark. I had 1/2 fuel when I picked the load up. So i assumed I would be in the clear and didnt use the cat scale near the DC. I got pulled in to the weigh station up in Fort Lewis, WA. They did an all paperwork inspection on me. I thought I was in the clear but they said I was a lil over the n the tandems. I assume the shipper loaded all the heavy items in the back. So they gave me a ticket...I’m going to have to start scaling everything over 32k from now on, just to be sure..

How much do these tickets go for?

BillStep Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Depends... How much over are you?

4. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
  5. highway666

Feb 14, 2018
    San Pedro, CA
    I’m not sure. They didn’t tell me. And it didn’t say in the examination report. I ended up delivering the load right after that. I was near the Lowe’s store.

6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    You were supposedly overweight, but you didn’t get cited?

This now begs another question. Does OR allow a tolerance, and were you within that tolerance?

7. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    It SHOULD be noted somewhere on the citation, because that citation is supposed to note exactly what you were caught with...just like a speeding ticket will say "64 in a 55 mph zone", an overweight ticket should specify either the amount over, or your weight along with the allowed weight.

If they just listed it on the inspection and did NOT issue a separate citation, I wouldn't worry about it...overweight carries no points under CSA/PSP.

If you were allowed to leave without correcting the weight issue, I'd be surprised if they actually wrote a citation.

Trucker61016 Thanks this.
  8. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    When the customer has a scale that only gives one weight you can still axle yourself out.

First put the steers on, write that down. (Let's say 12,200)

Second put the steers and drives (I usually stop just before the midship light) and write that down. (Let's say 44,200)

Then put the whole thing on, write that down. (77,000)

Take the steer and drive weight 44,200
    subtract the steer weight 12,200
    equals the weight of the drives: 32,000

Then take the whole weight of 77,000
    subtract the steer and drives 44,200
    equals the tandem weight 32,600

Thus you weigh 12,200 on the steers, 32,0000 on the drives, and 32,600 on the trailer.

This is a VERY inaccurate way to scale out - especially if the scale is elevated, but it gets you close. Depending on where the scale readout is, you can follow the same basic process in reverse to double check your weights.

Back to your specific situation - grossed out at 68,000 and the "axle load" gauge said the drives are at 22,000. Assuming your steers are at 12,000 that means your trailer is at 34,000. If you are lighter on your steers, then the trailer will be over 34,000. Personally if I saw that I would be sliding my tandems back to the 43 foot mark to balance the load. Besides making sure you are legal, it will give you a better ride and better fuel economy.

9. highway666

Feb 14, 2018
    San Pedro, CA
    They only handed me the white examination report. I slid my tandems back and then left. I thought it was odd as well, I just wanted to get out of there and deliver the freight.

10. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    Do you still have a copy of that? If so, look to see if you simply received a "warning" for the weight. I'm guessing that's all it is, because a citation would have been a separate slip of paper indicating the charge and the process for paying or disputing the charge...court date, etc...

11. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    If you indeed did get a fine it should clearly state as to what amount you owe and what options you have to pay it. If you were a little over i doubt very much if they'll issue you a ticket anyway i was 1200 lb over on the drives once at the (IN) POE i showed them my Cat Scale ticket they were happy with my explanation and let me readjust it by sliding axles forward 2 holes, went over the scales again and got a green light.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.