Own Authority Or Someone Else's??

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by TiredSlave, Aug 19, 2023.

1. TiredSlave

TiredSlave Bobtail Member

Aug 4, 2023
    I'm a cdl holder. But some hotshots are making more than company drivers and I'm tired of working for someone else. I am seriously considering a Dodge 5500, and a Kaufman EZ-4, or a Mini Five, car trailer.

I have finance for the equipment, but I'm wondering what my other start up costs will be and add up to...

My own authority
    Vs.
    Someone else authority

Input appreciated.
    Thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RamChevyManiac

RamChevyManiac Bobtail Member

Aug 2, 2023
    Macc Media tv did a break down of what it costed him to start up a business. Excluding the down-payment on the truck he had to spend 14,000 on startup costs.
    I timestamped it

4. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    Your own authority, you provide the business traffic and pay for liability insurance. Basically, there is no help from no one. It’s all up to you.

Leased on, you provide the driver, truck, non trucking liability insurance, and sometimes trailer. The company helps with the rest usually. Billing, liability, fuel and tire discounts, ifta, plate, training, compliance, drug and alcohol, payroll, proving you with work, etc..

Before you go own route figure out if you can afford insurance, can cover compliance, and have work lined up. If there no demand for what you provide, you will not be successful. So is there a demand???

Last edited: Aug 20, 2023
  5. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Another poster thinking the “Grass is greener” on the other side. o_O Go for it. Most don’t listen to the veterans in here. Use the search box on here. Do your homework.

JonJon78 and Jubal Early Times Thank this.
  6. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    If you are interested in leasing on to someone's Authority you can PM me

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.