Owner Op. or Company driver...Hmmmmm

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by drfuller18, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drive55cat

drive55cat Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2007
    Pa
    I can appreciate the reality check, as I was cosidering o/o. I think I'll stick with company driving until I get the two years OTR, thanks for the info. drive55cat

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. drfuller18

drfuller18 Light Load Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Al
    Wow, Mr Concrete Cowboy, I never said to not do it..But I will give my oppinion and Im going to lay it all out straight..Didnt you say you have a truck??? and was paid for??? Why is it not running?? Or is it?? If anyone cant make it with a truck PAID for, hows it going to be any easier with one with a 1500.00 a month note...Ive been around this all my life, I may not know everything , but I know enough to say theres not enough gain in it for the financial risk thats involved..If you want to do it by all means, knock yourself out... Its your money..And a paid for truck sitting in your yard doesnt make a whole lot either...

4. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    Of course you are entitled to your opinion. We all know what those are worth.

I never said I was running a truck. My truck is being refurbished. how many times have I said my numbers wouldn't apply to others. I've been in this my whole life too and I told you I drove for almost ten years as a co driver after turning our trucks in swearing to god I'd never own another truck. However there comes a time where I can't handle being treated like a low life steering wheel holder anymore and it's either get out of trucking all together or go back to work for the worlds worst boss (ME) I love trucking, I don't really want to leave it. I tried for the wife and I was more miserable than I've ever been in my life. My family time is what is important to me which is why I bought a truck and paid cash for it. I don't HAVE to run 200k a year to pay for my truck. I don't mind the down time associated with an older truck since down time is what's most important to me. I have contacts for work that most don't. It pays very well loaded and bobtailing and it's something there is almost no competition for. So once again I say "my numbers are mine"
    I'm not trying to get people to be O/O, I don't need the competition. But telling people they shouldn't do it is like the politicians who push there own agenda because they think we are too stupid to make our own decisions.
    oh by the way, name calling lost it's appeal to me in about 4th grade. If you want to do that I'll put my 4yo on here and you two can name call all you want

5. drfuller18

Jan 26, 2008
    Al
    Where have I stated they shouldnt?? And yes they should make their own mind up about it..Its their money..But Im not sugar coating a thing about it..Its there and anyone with common sence, a calculator, pen and paper can see it.. To all that reads this, you crunch the #s...Theres enough Horror storys out there to make you really be ware.. Its then your dicision..Just dont go into this without real extencive thought..Id rather throw my money out the window as to buy a truck today..But thats of course your decission to make...And Ive never said NOT do it..Im just smart enough I guess not to..

6. MedicineMan

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX

sounds like don't do it to me. Then again mabey I'm just not as smart as you.

So we go from "asphalt cowboy" to you being smarter than the owner ops. Hmm.. I don't see you making lots of friends. You came to this forum and one of your first post is to enlighten all us that we are making a mistake. I'm so glad we have a company driver who is smart enough to fill us all in.

There are lots of folks here making a good living and own there trucks. Business is business, not everyone is cut out for it and more will fail at it than succeed. But those who don't try will never succeed

7. drfuller18

Jan 26, 2008
    Al
    I was an O/O for the last 5 yrs I was out there up until 2 yrs ago..And I know theres no way theyre makeing the money some of these Companys are paying... It about the MONEY!! Nothing else..Are you smart enogh to work a calculator?? Where do you see it benificial?? Back up your opinions with facts,,,Id like to know ,as well Im sure everyone else..Give us something positive.. Anyone who ventures into the financial risk that involves a truck, had better be makeing the jack! And I dont see 30% profit if your lucky a benifit over what the next guy does at .400 a mile or MORE! In a less tax bracket.. So grace us with the Positive facts so we can end this, and settle the fact that sometimes the truth may hurt..A company driver makes more than a lease driver today...Id be glad to hear your facts! only.. Not your oppinions..And if Im not popular on this sight, Oh well, I never intended it to be a popularity contest.. But like I sayed its the truth and sometimes it hurts..And oppinions dont sell me.. Facts do. And Ive stated many compared to your oppinions..

8. MedicineMan

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    I'll leave that up to the people who are doing it. It's not my place to tell you what others are making. As I've pointed out, I'm not running a truck at the moment. It's amazing they are making it when they aren't as "smart" as you.
    I believe I said right away that I agree it wouldn't be very hard to make a living buying a truck and running a co trailer and leasing to a $.90per mile co. I'm not stupid enough to do that. And seeing as you are so "smart" that couldn't possibly be what you did now could it? :biggrin_25512:

So what did you do? prime? CR England?:biggrin_2551:

9. drfuller18

Jan 26, 2008
    Al
    Yea alot of them are starving too..But theres always tomorrow I guess..Out of all the true Independents and lease O/Os. Which one do you think has the most Ops..?? My dad had 5 in the mid 70s to mid 80s..True Independents..Theres very few today I can assure you to lease drivers..The closest Ive seen to true Independents is the Landstar group, and still its all within Landstar...So are they True Independents,or are the Dependent on Landstar for anything??? I cant give an actual fact on the difference in the 2 but I would freely bet lease driver are the majority. And if your lucky to find a Co. to lease to that pays lets say1.10 per mile LD and MT.. You Op. cost will be higher than a Co. paying .85 for they might cover your plates..And the Co. with 1.10 will not.. Just an example.. My point here is Co. drivers are making up 50% of what lease drivers are makeing per mile..And lease drivers cant touch it.. People do your Homework, 1 year of exp. goes a long way today when it come to pay..I was told from a young age"If it doesnt work on paper, then it will not work at all" and no truer words have ever been said.. Its got yet to let me down.. I sold out to raise my girls and at that time fuel was hitting 1.70 a gallon..There was no real FSC established at the beginning of the fuel hike like now..And still, I would have sold out... BUt you do the #s crunching, and dont cheat yourself on it... The industry is going to give you life and sometimes it can hurt...Just be honest with yourself on the #s when you figure it out..Youll be glad you did...:biggrin_25525:I really wish I could be more positive in this area, but Im a realist..And the MONEY is the bottom line, if its not there then why try..Who needs extra headaches in the world today?? But do figure it out for yourself...

10. drfuller18

Jan 26, 2008
    Al
    What you do is this...Your driving a truck...Pretend its Yours! Monday at midnight to the following Monday at midnight.. Truck payment, say 300.00 week.. Find out your companys Fuel surcharge rate and apply it to your gross revenue per mile for O/Os, that way you can use the pump price on figureing fuel...You have 2 different mileages, Hub miles and your pay miles. Know what both are..Truck ins..approx. 8% give or take of the gross value of the truck..Say a 45,000 unit..70.00 a week.. Bob tail-9.00 a week. your service and break down acct..Truck acct.. avg. .100 per pay mile, not hub..Health ins. is now all on you.say 150.00.. And even there it could be higher. FHUT= 10.00, cell phone= you write it off you claim it..35.00. Unemployment and life ins.11.00..If a tire goes out, take it out of your gross, you break down,take it out of your gross...Theres no grace period even on your first week..If you cant cover it this week..Pray you run enough next to pay it and eat the next week.. After the weeks over youll have your first real training experience as an O/O lease driver. And it will give you a better Idea.. Your doing the work, someone else keeps up with what your doing on their truck.. Just pretend its yours and youll see what Im saying.. Apply it all to whatever these companys are trying to shove even on lease purchase agreements. Which I will tell you thats real risky..If you want to do this buy a truck and go to them..Theyll have enough control over you by that, but If you tell them to go to H&^L... Your truck goes with you..:biggrin_25519:

11. Eskimo6804

Eskimo6804 Heavy Load Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Northeast Alabama
    You go Medman...I'm sitting over here in the corner watching this comedy routine and laughing like crazy. Gotta love them skewed numbers. I am going to stay out of this one and let you handleit Meddie, but one thing I will comment about is as follows; If I can get .85 and free plates or 1.10 and buy my own plates...I think I'd just have to stand in line all day at the DMV to buy a base plate. For some reason many people act like the company paying plates is a big plus, when in fact plates are only worth .01-.015 per mile when you spread the cost over the entire year.

DrFuller, don't you even start on me. I'm just an innocent bystander. And I would highly suggest you did a little research here on this forum if you want my opinion and my detailed and ACCURATE numbers.They are readily available on several different posts.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.