Owner Operator Safety Audit

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Scuba Steve, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Chicago IL
    Hi, I am very new to the trucking company and am in the process of getting my own authority. I know that after you start a trucking company you will be safety audited sometime soon after. I cant really find too much info on what exactly they want to see at this safety audit. I am the only driver right now with one truck, no employees. Another thing is that I see a lot of people that started trucking companies say that their employees are in a drug testing pool, do I need to be in one being the only employee. A medical card for an owner operator for my own company didnt require me to take a drug test, does this matter when the safety inspector comes out for this audit? Any help is greatly appreciated!!:biggrin_25525:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wheathauler

wheathauler Trucker

Mar 10, 2009
    Hutch, Kansas
    Yes, you have to be in a drug testing pool.

4. Ken

Ken Couch Commander

Oct 29, 2006
    You need to be in a drug pool.. You even need to have an employment app from yourself. You also need a driver's abstract on file..

5. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    This should help . You need everything there required for an employee . You are employing yourself .

General Information Folder

List of equipment (trucks, tractors, trailers, plate numbers, etc.)

List of current driver's names and number for the last 350 days

List of corporate officers

Insurance Folder

Insurance liability coverage

MCS-90 form

BOC-3 form

Cargo insurance coverage

Accident Folder

Accident Register

All Accident Reports

Driver Qualification for Each Driver

Drivers application form

Inquiry to all previous employers

Inquiry to state agencies

Annual review of driving record

Annual driver's certificate of violations

Driver's road test or certificate of equivelent (i.e. copy of CDL)

Medical Examination

Previous drug & Alcohol test results

Drug and alcohol program for each driver

Pre-employment

Drivers list of consortium

Random

Post Accident

Logs for each driver

Logbooks or Time cards if 100 mile radius

Supporting documents (Fuel, meal tickets, tolls, etc.)

Disciplinary policy for non-compliance

Maintenance files for each Vehicle

Make & Model, VIN, tire size, and year

Planned Maintenance Program

Annual Inspecitons

Maintenance File Records (receipts, etc.)

Brake Inspector Qualification

Inspection Reports

Hazmat (if applicable)

Certificate of registration

Shipping papers

Cargo tank certifications

HM Training for drivers and employees (CDL with HM and cargo tank endorsements will fulfill driver training requirements)

Record Keeping

General Information

General Awareness

Safety Training

6. 7mouths2feed

7mouths2feed "Family Man"

Nov 29, 2007
    Jacksonville, AR
    While I am NOT endorsing them as I feel they cause as much harm as good with their actions, OOIDA does offer some items that make being/starting OO more bearable until you can find other sources.

7. Scuba Steve

Jun 21, 2009
    Chicago IL
    Wow, thanks for the great reply. Just one more question about this medical card. Since I already had the physical without the drug/alcohal test would it be sufficient to enter a drug testing pool for myself and just go to the same place I got my medical card and just get a drug test and show proof of this to the auditor?

8. Scuba Steve

Jun 21, 2009
    Chicago IL
    Also how does this random pool work with me being the only employee? Does someone call me and say hey go for a test? How does it work, Im pretty confused. And also should I get this drug test done before I recieve my authority. Or would the auditor give me a hard time because lets say I drove for a month and then went for a test? Because the time that you get audited from when you first start can vary, up to 18 months I hear, is that correct or do you get audited right away? Once again thanks for helpn this new trucker out!!

9. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007

You join a pool. In my area I joined a truckers association. I became part of their pool.

10. 7mouths2feed

7mouths2feed "Family Man"

Nov 29, 2007
    Jacksonville, AR
    Yes you need to have a "pre-employment" test on file. Goto the place you took the physical and they should be able to admiister the test. They will send it out for actual processing.

As for the "Audit"... Relax. I was nervous about it too until I got clarification from the fmcsa. The "Safety Audit" is only to insure that you are complying with the necessary documents and procedures. If there is something missing they will explain what you have/need to do to correct it. Follow the listing that RickG posted and keep it all organized. Remember that YOU are an Employee of Your company.

I see you found the thread I started reguarding the same thing. I was about to point you to it. For others with this question there is more info located here

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...-operator/79915-4-6-hours-dot-inspection.html

Other items for testing are explained here

http://www.ooida.com/Benefits%26Services/Services/CMCI/CMCI_requirements.shtml

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  11. Scuba Steve

Jun 21, 2009
    Chicago IL
    Thanks for all of the replies, would anyone know how I can enter this drug pool, I operate out of Chicago, IL and am the only employee right now with one truck. Also how does that work, does someone call u saying you got randomly selected? What if your on the road? Any help is greatly appreciated, I dont want to fail my first safety audit over one lil minor detail.:biggrin_25525:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.