owner operator wage questions

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by mojoblues, Nov 20, 2009.

1. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L
    I hardly need a lesson from you or anyone else, I've been an O/O for over thirty years and have quite a lot to show for it. I couldn't ever even consider driving for a fleet and being treated like a P.O.S. and like I can't walk and chew gum at the same time!

Owning a truck isn't for everyone! It requires a lot of self discipline and dedication. I've seen so many guys that were pretty good company drivers go out and buy a truck and within a year they had a bunch of tickets on their MVR and had gone through all of their savings and even a couple that wound up divorced over it.

Return on investment is built into my rates and always has been as a part of my business plan That's why I won't haul that cheap dollar a mile freight and it is why I stay with a very small carrier that refuses to haul that low rate garbage!

I stay very busy and have enjoyed a pretty high degree of success at this over the years.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Graymist

Graymist Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2007
    As I had clearly mentioned in my post, I wasn't trying to give you a lesson. I was simply trying to put forth a point of view.

Kudos to you on having been such a success at owning your own truck. But your assertion that driving for a fleet is tantamount to being treated like a POS is patently ludicrous, ignorant, condescending and offensive.

Good luck to you, and I do not wish to engage with you any further.

4. Canucklehead

Canucklehead Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    I'm way late in adding my 2 cents worth here. But sure, you end up buying a job for yourself. But at the end of the loan term, if you want to bail on the business, then sell your truck. You've just got paid for 2 or 3 years, paid for a truck with the added income you wouldn't have had being a company driver, and then reap the "free" profits on whatever you get for that paid-for truck. Then you can crawl back to your mommy's basement and live it large for a while.....

5. Graymist

Graymist Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2007
    Gotcha....makes a lot of sense. Cheers !! :)

6. MT Pockets

MT Pockets Light Load Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Manteca Ca
    This statement REALLY sums it all up
    I am doing it at .95 a mile. of course the company provides everything. My truck note is reasonable. The only thing that I do not like is this workman comp thing!
    I provide my Truck, they put their name on my door, they provide a trailer, they find my freight for me, as a 1st time O/O, or as one so eloquently phrased it as "Fleece Operator":biggrin_25513:
    I am leased to a Co. that has or will be 100% O/O here pretty soon. They only have 17 Co. truck left. Now there Lease deal, A FREAKIN JOKE!
    I studied this company and another 1 for a couple of months. You need to ask a whole bunch of questions. You will have a BUNCH of nay sayers here and there.

DO NOT LET ANYONE DISCOURAGE Y0U!

yes, you do need somewhat of a sense of business, and a whole bunch of luck and dedication

7. joedogs

joedogs Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Dayton NJ
    There is no reason to become an o/o today. The only way is to do it under your own authority with your own trailer. Get off your but and find your own freight. otherwise your just a company driver witha truck payment and a repair bill. Do the math. If you look at the numbers from the best of fleets to lease on to it just dosen't make sense. After your deductions your pay will be around .40 cents per mile, drive a company truck so when you get tired of it you can just quit with out the finacial burden. (unless specialized hauling) I'm talking general freight hauling, which is what most people will be doing.

Working Class Patriot Thanks this.
  8. 2fuzy

2fuzy Road Train Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Granite Canon,WY
    pay for plates is just another way to lock you in and for the most part percentage is the fairest way to go

MT Pockets Thanks this.
  9. mojoblues

mojoblues Bobtail Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Thanks for the advice...
    The only reason I'm going the owner operator route is I came into a few inheritance bucks and will buy my truck outright. probably won't get the trailer at first though. Im looking at a used freightliner century with a Cat C-15

I hated forced dispatch. I hated NY city and all the places I had to go. I plan on taking loads to places I like when I can. I'm not married and have no mortgage, family or car payment. So I'm not under huge pressure. I have friends that are making a lot of cash driving owner operator..at least they were last year. Some were taking home about 5-7k a month after expenses. But after reading these posts I definitely will look into using my own authority. Are there really enough loads out there to go that route?
    I have not signed a lease yet.
    I'm curious as to what all these leased owner operator expenses are that makes it only about .40 cents a mile?..can anyone break that down? Since I was a company driver for 3 years I never even thought about all the owner operator stuff
    I understand regular maintanence
    like oil changes, tires are normal
    Thanks

10. MT Pockets

MT Pockets Light Load Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Manteca Ca
    I know. But Getting to that level reguires some duckets that I do not have at this time.
    A TRUE O/O does everything for His/Herself. I agree with that 100%
    now can I use your Authority?:biggrin_25522:

Skipper2256 Thanks this.
  11. fireman5606

fireman5606 Bobtail Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Shelby ,NC

Well it sounds like you are in the best possible position to pursue being an O/O. No big bills at home, pretty much debt free even after getting a truck, sounds like a good situation to be in. Granted I have no idea how much cash you have available, but if you can get everything set up and be completly debt free, with enough cash to pay you regular bills at home for say 4-6 months, and the reserves to make repairs to the truck/trailer 10-12G's is what I have read most agree on, you would have an advantage from the start. I don't recommend basing you income expectations on what your friends are/were making, too many variables. Another thought, just my opinion of course, but I would consider financing the truck and keeping the cash you have for repairs, capital, emergencies, etc. Use the search if yoou havent already lot of good threads on expenses, problems, suggestions on here from a lot of experienced drivers. Just a few early morning thoughts, best of luck to you......

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.