P&D and Customers(rants and funny stories).

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by snowlauncher, Oct 1, 2019.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I was with DM Bowman one time. Out of Frederick. The breakfast got botched at 1 am. By 1:40 I had that tractor trailer in the old 76 truckstop in Maryland off I-70 being served by dear Mary (Rip.. cancer killed her some weeks after that particular service of meal) 2 am sitting pretty. Due in Blue Circle at 6 am. 45 minutes of I-70 and then about 20 more of Canton. whoopie. Plenty of time.

After a two hour breakfast I took off. was in Blue Circle Cement in Baltimore loading at 5 sharp.

Alls well.

Ya right.

I was pulled into the dispatch office and then confronted by the Frederick Safety man who doubles as a junkyard dog firing people who misbehave. (Thats me)

Apparently one dispatcher showed up passing the truckstop bright and starry early no sun or blue horizon anywhere. Gets my unit number Turns me in on paper with a complaint.

That was a little bit of yelling on my part. If sourpuss burns me for being hours early, laying around in the middle of my breakfast plate and coffee a while on top of that... he can go stick it. They actually formally wrote me up on that one.

God help you if you were 4 minutes late to Altoona on ice in a proper storm, but its a greater sin to take care of necessary things hours and hours early in a night time long before you have to be anywhere.

It's been many years. Even today I get a little mean and cranky thinking that poobah had no life except the reports to turn in thinking we are burning down the company or something. /semi rant.

snowlauncher Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    Any cop that saw him probably just thought "Screw this, I am NOT dealing with the paperwork!"

4. snowlauncher

snowlauncher Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    I was once covering a P&D route for another driver in Jackson Hole, WY for a few days... I was dispatched to a customer for a pickup, and when I arrived, they had several loose pieces of angled steel in excess of 10' that they wanted to ship. I politely explained to them that I couldn't accept the shipment because if they tendered it to me in loose pieces, it would most likely be damaged before it reached its destination. I reccomended, much to their chagrin, that they palletize it onto a couple pallets, and band it together for safer shipping. I notified my dispatcher, and told them I would return tomorrow, if they had it ready...
    I arrived around midday the next day, and saw the freight neatly banded together on a couple pallets, and ready to ship. When I walked into the shop, the two guys were in the lunchroom, one was just sitting down to eat, and the other was heating up his meal. They both paused and looked at me like they were annoyed at my timing. I smiled and greeted them, but I just got blank stares.
    I said "I'm here to pick up your shipment today if it's ready." There was a pause, then the one sitting down said in an irritated tone, "I guess you want us to load it for you!?" I smiled again, looked at them both and replied, "I guess that depends on how bad you want to ship it." They looked at one another, and the one who was standing nodded subtly at the other, who then sighed reluctantly, and got up to get the forklift. End of story.

McUzi, x1Heavy, Texas_hwy_287 and 2 others Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I love the old "How much do you want this out of here stories"

If there is any hate left in my bones it's for the tile. You can orderwhatever tile you like in 100,000 different ways to your taste. Big tile, little tile, too #### heavy tile and too fragile tile etc. DC is tile heaven.

Here I am with a 40 foot container loaded to the MAX with tiles. Squeaked the door open and its floor to roof all the way down to the hinges tile. (If anyone knows how to cube out a 96 inch trailer at 8.5 feet high and 40 foot space inside in volume and apply like 30 pounds per cubic foot... I would love to know what my paper gross was on that run.

4 suits come running. Its their semi annual delivery of tile. You mean to say that all these tiles you have to sell to people within 6 months?

Yup. Would you like tile for your house?

I guess its in their blood.

I leave you with this mystery. They bought a tiny suite. Barely enough room to hold 4 materailistic office people with their Beemers (Icon of DC... if you don't know if you are in Washington yet Mr Russ, just look for Beemer...) and managed to unload in that hot day by hand and carried all of it to that little office.

They thanked me and said see you in 6 months kid.

Hell naw....

6. Texas_hwy_287

Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    I went to deliver a threadmill to a customer house, when I first called the customer she was very rude saying why I didn't called earlier and that it was going to take her at least 45 mins to arrive at location.

I went to the customers house anyway to unload freight and have it ready for whenever she arrives, thankfully her brothers were home. I place the freight inside the garage and ask the brother if he can sign my bills, then he asks hey aren't you going to assemble the threadmill? I reply sorry sir we dont assemble threadmills and you need to call the shipper.

When I left the customers house I get a call from the angry customer demaning to know why I didnt assemble her threadmill, again I told her in a polite manner that we dont assemble threadmills and she needs to contact the shipper. After my statement she demaded to know my name and my supervisor name and stated she was going to complain to corporate.

Gotta love these residentials.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  7. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    I love how people think someone cares lol. Go ahead and call and when be it gets down to dispatch we can all have a laugh about it.

8. snowlauncher

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    I had a residential guy call and complain to my service manager for the same thing. I delivered him a desk, and he was plenty peeved that I didn't bring it in and assemble it. My manager told me about it when I got back to the terminal, and we had a good laugh!

9. snowlauncher

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    I had to deliver a big fancy wooden china buffet/hutch to an old lady once. She seemed like a nice old grandma, kinda reminded me of my own...
    No garage, just an old concrete porch. I unloaded the 300 lb. pallet with a liftgate, then was nice enough to unpack it from the pallet and bring it up the porch steps. She looked at me funny, when I set it down. I explained to her that I can't bring it inside her house. She said "oh" in a helpless old lady kind of way. I kind of felt bad, so I asked her if she had a friend or family member who could help her. She said that she would have to figure it out...
    I'm not totally heartless, but what did she really think???

10. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Should’ve put it back on the truck and watch their heads explode. :biggrin_25523:

11. Rusty Trombone

Rusty Trombone Light Load Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Gotta love these ######## that act like you’re somehow inconveniencing them by picking up or dropping off the #### THEY ordered.

I think my favorite is when these dumb ####s ask you “what is this for”? Or, “are you going to install it for me”? What a bunch of ####ing idiots.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.