P&D and Customers(rants and funny stories).

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by snowlauncher, Oct 1, 2019.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ive taken two books from Random House Westminster to Toronto Downtown of Ontario. Heavy loads. As fars I knew the American Scales could care less.

Only one time Have I had trouble with a Lawman for putting himself south on a formal ridge Just south of York on what I called Summit on I-83. Pretty thin. Long story short, he bails out of a tiny green mustang. Raises up a ####### bazooka to my face with me coming on at 60 loaded.

I set the wheel a smidge to goahead and take him out on instinct. But saw the Cord from the bottom of the #### thing to the interiror of the car. It took quite a bit to miss him by this much and then squawk about dumb idiot radar this was back in radio days, no cells either.

It was way way way WAY too early in my years to put up with something that stupid.

Good tidings? Positive ending? Certainy. I never saw him there ever again.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowlauncher

snowlauncher Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    Showed up at a delivery recently with 4 tall pallets loaded right near the tail... I went inside the warehouse and saw a guy who looked busy working on something. He got irritated and said "It's gonna be a while before I can unload you, I'm busy with something".
    I could tell he was serious, so I calmly went to the trailer and started cutting the wrapping off of one of the pallets...
    He didn't pay much attention until I started breaking it down and bringing boxes in with a hand truck. I asked him where he wanted me to stack them... Then suddenly he decided he wasn't too busy to get a forklift and unload the pallets intact...;)

x1Heavy, MACK E-6, Cardfan89 and 5 others Thank this.
  4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    If it’s a union place, pull the pallets off yourself. That will really put a few people in orbit. :biggrin_25523:

5. snowlauncher

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    Haha! I have done that at a couple of places... I've shown up and nobody seems to care enough to deal with the freight I'm bringing. After a few minutes of being ignored, I use my pallet jack and stage it on the dock for them. I usually get sour looks, then I hand them the paperwork to sign...

6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    That’s union people for you. They cry when they have to do any work, and then cry when they don’t have to do any work. You can’t win.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I like the lunch hour. They disappear.

When they are back my doors are closed and there is papers to sign for the two rows on their dock.

Don't tell anyone that i can run a forklift almost as good as they can.

8. snowlauncher

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    I have a few rare customers that don't mind if I jump onto their lift and load/unload, but for most, it's a NO NO.
    I do know a driver who used to just help himself to whatever equipment was available at any customer. He got yelled at a few times...

9. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    As in "Hey, you can't do that !" ? The answer is always "Can't do that? I sure can do that. Didn't you see me doing it? It was easy.
    Sign here please".

10. snowlauncher

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    I frequently deliver to a good sized power sports dealership in my area. They have a truck staging area just outside the compound gate. I used to park and walk through the open gate into the shop and find recieving guy.
    One day I showed up, and the compound gate was locked up as tight as a drum...
    I had to walk around the building to the main entrance and back to the shop... It was quite a detour, so I asked why it was all locked up. The recieving guy said that the day before someone entered the unlocked compound in broad daylight and helped themselves to a new Razor.... Drove it right off the lot!!!
    Bummer...

Cardfan89, jmz, FlaSwampRat and 2 others Thank this.
  11. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    So I get to this place that ships 6' x 4.5' x 4.5' displays in metal boxes. Hit their dock, and am told that I absolutely am not authorized to use the forklift, and their guy would have to load.

After watching him enter at a 45* angle, bounce off the walls and crash the displays into one another, I informed him that either:

1) I load the trailer,
    2) He finds someone who knows WTF they're doing,
    3) The pickup doesn't happen, or
    4) He continues trying to do something he obviously has no idea how to do, and his company can pay for the damage to my trailer and the other freight.

Guess who got instantly authorized to use the forklift...? :D

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.