P&D driver

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by kspelman1023, Apr 11, 2020.

1. kspelman1023

kspelman1023 Bobtail Member

Mar 31, 2020
    Hey guys I was just curious how physical being a P&D driver is? I’m considering moving into the LTL world once this craziness ends. I’m coming from a Foodservice background. I like the hustle, but am looking at longevity now too. I’d like something that still has a hustle to it, and thought maybe being a P&D driver might be a good change. I’d still like a challenge. Thank you!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Between here and eternity
    P&D work can be a "pain" at times. I did it for 10 years and despised every day of it. After 24 years of running the road I just could never adapt to it, since you have been"hustling" with the food end, you might fit in.
    It seems like the big customers that I went to everyday were not any problem but the small ones that might ship or receive a few times a year, they could be trouble. I could cite situation after situation to back up what I mean, especially on residential deliveries. You really have to "bite your tongue" at times.
    Being home everyday to me was not worth the hassle. You put in 10 to 12 hrs a day for 5 days and you are so tired on week-ends you don't feel like doing anything. I got more rest on the road then I did doing local work..
    But each to his own. Everyone has his "own cup of tea".

4. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Your challenge will likely come from dealing with all kinds of customers that aren't business owners. But your body will be thanking you for the reduced workload.

Jay5GS Thanks this.
  5. Flatbedfreak

Flatbedfreak Bobtail Member

Jan 10, 2020
    PA
    The LTL world can be quite brutal somedays depending on workload, how your trailer is loaded, customers, etc. Worst case scenario you could have a 10+ delivery and pickup day. Which could involve liftgate deliveries in residential area's or very tight place's thinking there's no way I should be here.. Some smaller customers might not have a forklift or dock and there are times where you get screwed without a liftgate trailer. Which can get physical if you have to break down the pallet or pallets which I'm sure you're used to. Certain customers may require you to unload your own trailer with a manual pallet jack if there's no electric jack or forklift. When the pallets weigh 2500+ lbs and you have to unload a bunch of them you start to question yourself as to why you chose city p&d.. On the bright side of things, you may have a day where you have 3 deliveries and it's all no-touch freight, customer's unloading it all. Then do a few pick up's and be done with your shift. At the end of the day, it can be labor intensive depending on the run, but not as physical as the foodservice industry. P&D will still give you a challenge if that's what you are looking for. I'm sure others can or will elaborate on this as well. Any other questions just ask.

snowlauncher and BigDog Trucker Thank this.
  6. Cohiba

Cohiba Bobtail Member

Mar 27, 2018
    It's simple compared to food service. Once in a while you get the broken pallet of vinyl flooring that you can't budge, but there always seems to be a way to get it out. Only thing I don't like is Hazmat paperwork. A good chance the shipper missed something if they don't ship a lot of HM.

snowlauncher, Jay5GS and jmz Thank this.
  7. kspelman1023

Mar 31, 2020
    Thanks everyone! But I may be crazy for saying this but I like a job where you hustle like that. Foodservice definitely is great preparation if you want to switch over to P&D if your describing some of the scenarios above. It’s turned me into a pretty good driver too. Breaking down pallets, and pulling 2,000 lbs. pallets is second nature for me at this point. I’m just seeing what else there is out there. I doubt I’ll be able to do food forever; although many guys I work with have. The money is the thing that gets everyone. Our base is 88k where I work. Many guys have told me though because I’m young to go to switch to something like LTL.

Trucker61016 and BigDog Trucker Thank this.
  8. kspelman1023

Mar 31, 2020
    Central Transport, Estes, Fedex Freight, and Old dominion are right near me to name a few. Central is always hiring.

Trucker61016 Thanks this.
  9. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    You'll dig it since you like to hustle. I definitely did for that same reason. Your body will dig it because you won't be beating it up so much. It can still be physical, but not even 10% of what a foodservice driver deals with.

Trucker61016 Thanks this.
  10. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Not all freight lines are created equal though. Some are easier to work for than others. Saia and XPO are notorious for micromanagement. FedEx has a bit of that, plus they run multiple seniority lists to add insult to injury. R&L and Estes seem to be fairly laid back by comparison.

11. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    Having also done foodservice and now doing P&D, I echo Bob and Cohiba--you won't regret your decision.

Texas_hwy_287 and Bob Dobalina Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.