PA Turnpike rate increase

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by JonJon78, Dec 16, 2019.

1. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere

That's because they can't get toll booth workers that aren't former criminals. Nobody with any dignity would willfully endure what they go through on a daily basis from ticked off motorists.

stillwurkin and PE_T Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    That's where I was going.

4. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Lots of states have been eliminating manned toll plazas altogether the past 5 years or so in favor of EZ-Pass or bill by mail only. Mass Pike did, then MTA bridges and tunnels in NYC did (Not the Port Authority ones like GW and Goethals that connect NY and NJ though), NY Thruway got rid of it at least at the new Tappan Zee. Jersey probably would if they could afford to but I don't think can. Those old toll plazas on the Turnpike are garbage though and sometimes can even be dangerous accident magnets.

Cant say I think it's a bad idea as a cost saving measure, and it keeps traffic moving more efficiently.

PE_T Thanks this.
  5. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Really..if they are crooks they fit in with the turnpike commision. Have you ever heard what they were paid? I have heard quit well .Senior collectors apprx 30p/hr. Full benefits, union retirement, paid mileage to work a different collection booth. Probably other benefits, thats why the commission wants rid of them. Ez pass and toll by plate. I like their sign(s). "Thank you for traveling the Pennsylvania Turnpike". Bunch of thieving #%*#€#?.

adayrider and mitmaks Thank this.
  6. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    In Md.,the Key Bridge,which is the I-695 south route around Baltimore,and the Hatem Bridge across the Susquehanna river on US 40 are unmanned toll booths now. If you don't have an EZ pass,they photo you,and add 1.5 times of the toll when you get the bill in the mail.
    Eventually they'll all be unmanned.
    I remember when the Pa. pike from Breezewood to Ohio was $19.,162 miles. Thought that was too dam much.

stillwurkin and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Had to love those 10’ lanes on the Goatballs bridge. I’m surprised I never had a mirror get knocked off. :rolleyes:

PE_T and stayinback Thank this.
  8. RunningAces

RunningAces Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2017
    Did this run yesterday from just south of Philly to Cleveland. Thanks for the route, I'll never take that overpriced turnpike again if I can help it.

bzinger and PE_T Thank this.
  9. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    The new one is really nice. They finished it up earlier in 2019. I used to cross it regularly to get to the NY container terminal just on the other side and usually would go that way if I were trying to get out to Long Island also. (not a GW fan)

10. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Certainly not to repair their ####ty ### roads..

JonJon78 and stillwurkin Thank this.
  11. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017

It's insane if you are rolling from out west like Chicago to say Philly or NJ. It will cost you over $200 in tolls to run 80 tolls before PA and then 76 tolls in PA. I think it was about $250 last time I did it and an additional $20 to cross the bridge if you had to go to the other side of the river in NJ or DE..

My solution was to hit Route 30 at Gary IN then run that all the way to i71 then hit i80 and then after that I'd take i80 all the way to 476 down into Philly and that was about $40 in tolls if I recall. It added a few extra miles and a bit more time consuming but wasn't that bad TBH.

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.