Paccar engines

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by wihusker13, Jan 8, 2011.

1. wihusker13

wihusker13 Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2011
    Wisconsin via Nebraska
    Does anyone have any experience with the new line of engines by Paccar? Fuel mileage, reliability, power etc.? Thanks in advance

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dutch

Dutch Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Commiefornia
    So far there doing good, just like alot of the new products out there are some bugs in the system. Were doing software updates as well as misc. hardware updates to the engine. What I'm hearing back from cust. that run them, their doing good in fuel mileage and are doing good in power and they are really liking them. We havn't seen any other issues other then the software updates going on right now and a check engine light on for minor things like sensor going bad.

4. V8Lenny

V8Lenny Road Train Member

Aug 3, 2008
    Europe
    Low power and higher fuel consumption than equivalent Volvo. They also use too much oil. This is about euro version, don't know how much different US version is.

Scania man Thanks this.
  5. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    Today I saw small DAF45 truck with small 4-cyl Paccar CRD engine... no start and noone knows what to do. There were Cummins ISL engines on early 45 trucks, now they sell Paccar engines. I try to find wiring diagramm to find a problem... Becouse no responce from engine unit...

So driving exotic Paccar engine you'll have some problems with maintanace and repare, so IMO, Cummins ore Cat engines are better.

6. king Q

king Q Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Johannesburg sa
    I have 7 Paccar engine trucks.
    Two are actually just re-badged Cummins.
    These are in 2 straight trucks.
    The other 5 are class 8 trucks.
    Good on fuel and mechanically no problems, all at about 450K.
    Electrical problems a number of times as wiring is very thin and breaks mid harness on rough roads.
    Inter-coolers tend to crack at about 300K.

7. Pablo-UA

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    I haven't got Paccar engines with mechanical problems too.I ususally have wiring problems from cabine to engine and on big Paccar MX and on small BE engines with Bosch Common rail system (really this is Bosch MS7 system, like on MAND20/D28).

8. cjkrieg

cjkrieg Bobtail Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Lorton, VA
    I own 1 paccar mx. So far other than a software update i've had no issues. However, i was told by my salesman that when changing the fuel filters i would need to buy a high pressure pump to reprime the system. I told him to stick the pump, i would crack the injector line loose and prime it up that way. He says that once the injector line is loosened, it must be replaced. Anyone else hear of this?

9. 98989

98989 Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2008
    last good paccar engine was euro 2 norm

10. Pablo-UA

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    yep, DAF say that fuel lines are not reusable becouse of they are designed for very high pressure, over 1800 bar

11. Pablo-UA

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    UPEC Euro-III is the good thing too

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.