Padded Pipe Stakes

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by DSK333, Oct 31, 2018.

1. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    Micro fissures, especially with drill pipe or collars. Been there done that. Took a royal *** chewing from the company man.

Suspect pipe would to have to be black lighted for inspection. Not sure how they do it now. But it was costly and very time consuming.

DSK333 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I absolutely agree.

For this reason that's why chains are not allowed on pipe loads or directional (bottom) tools. It's a big expense to refurbish and quality check every drill pipe, casing, collar, drill motor, etc. Using chains will get you fired at my company. The only time I used a chain on pipe was putting a penalty chain on a load of pipeline pipe at the customer's demand.

SteerTire and DSK333 Thank this.
  4. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I will add one more thing, when it comes to oil field drill pipe, casing, or bottom tools: the down hole pressure can be ungodly high. We are talking well north of 10,000 psi.

Any failure of the sidewall of a pipe can have catastrophic results. Mens lives are at stake. It doesn't matter if you are sitting in the control room behind bullet proof glass. If there's an explosive failure at 15,000 psi you're dead. Treat that pipe load as if men's lives are at stake.

DSK333 Thanks this.
  5. DL550CAT

DL550CAT Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Waynesburg, Pa

Well... that’s a different explanation than I usually hear. But in my mind it’s about as absurd. I never hauled much drill pipe mostly bha and ain’t nobody gently with that stuff unless it’s rotary steerable.
    “We ain’t gonna need that slick till the next hole. dump it on the rack behind that 36 casing.” CRASH BANG BOOONGGGG.
    Micro fissures from pipe stakes? Yeah right.

beastr123 Thanks this.
  6. hightide58

hightide58 Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2016
    NW Florida
    I won't buy any explanation for not using chains on used drill pipe. Maybe new pipe. Still most of the wear on drill pipe is at the tool joint which has hardbanding that can be replaced. Inspection of drill pipe and bha's is routine. It is in the contract between drilling contractor and company. We did ours on a footage drilled basis or around every 3-4 wells. Done in 3-4 days during the rig move.

beastr123 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  7. haulhand

haulhand Road Train Member

Micro fissures is hilarious it’s like nobody has ever watched pipe be moved or pulled to the floor thru the v-door.

Coover, beastr123 and DL550CAT Thank this.
  8. DL550CAT

DL550CAT Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Waynesburg, Pa

Well.... I’ll agree with no chains. not because you’re going to hurt the pipe but goes against my understanding of load securment.
    You are correct when they inspect pipe and bha. They only inspect the upsets and the connections. They don’t check the middle where it would contact the pipe stakes.

9. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Best Practices.

That's a concept "drilled" into us (pun intended) every day. Sure, you are going to be loaded or unloaded at a wide variety of pipe yards and oil rigs. You WILL see some rather rude treatment of the pipe, depending on the skill level of the forklift operator and the general culture of the place. It's Best to adopt the Practices of the best places and apply that to wherever you happen to be loading or unloading.

In our own SOP manual we aren't allowed to load pipe at any standard less than the most stringent customer or location. It's very typical at many of the pipe yards we go to there will be a big sign that will include the following:

NO CHAINS!!! STRAPS ONLY!!!

Must have four pipe pins at least 4' tall.

Pipe pins must be padded.

Must have 15 hardwood 4x4's

Must belly wrap the front and back of the total load.

Must chock every layer.

If you cannot fulfill these requirements you will not be loaded or unloaded (aka you must be this tall to get on the ride).

Sure, you will run into plenty of forklift drivers, machinists, and other folks who don't give a ####. If I wanted to aspire to be the window licker of pipe pullers I would chalf at having to do all that extra work. That's not my goal. Doesn't matter if the dude running a propane forklift is hatless and smoking a cigarette. I have my proper PPE on the moment I step out of my truck and as necessary I will stop work and have him do it right. That might get a few panties in a bunch, but it does get noticed by the paying customer.

How many times have you been dispatched to pick up a load of rejected pipe at a rig? It's a LOT. It's a shame. That's why there are companies that do nothing but QA on pipe, hired by many a company man that was burned because the pipe companies and/or drivers didn't do their ####ing job.

Blackshack46 and hightide58 Thank this.
  10. hightide58

hightide58 Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2016
    NW Florida
    Well I certainly agree straps are the proper method of securing drill pipe. My only comment was it's doubtful chain would damage the tube of drill pipe. And yes the tube is inspected as well mainly for internal erosion and wall loss. DP inspection is done to prevent failure while drilling. A washout or drill string parting resulting in a fishing job and great deal more expensive than a DP inspection.
    And yes if you are wondering I was a CoMan for many years and signed many an Acme ticket. Professionalism among truckers and others was always noticed and commended by myself and others on the rig.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  11. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    I don’t haul drill pipe. I honestly don’t know so I hope you can answer for me?

You say belly wrap front and back if the total load?

I would think that would take some seriously long straps if it gets over a couple feet high?

What’s the difference between choke and belly wrap? I was under the impression the same thing just in over or under direction of the pull of the strap?

cke Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.