Panhandlers at Truck Stops

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Winkjr, Jan 25, 2012.

1. donzilla379

donzilla379 Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2012
    missouri valley iowa
    you really what to mess with there head..?? carry your company app with you . when they ask for money give them a app tell that your company is hiring.. than watch them run..:biggrin_25522:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Winkjr

Winkjr Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Marlton NJ
    Thats a good one

4. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    No, sorry. I don't carry cash.

KillingTime Thanks this.
  5. barroll

barroll Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Southwest Michigan
    I got offered some "mystery miracle metal polish" at the pilot in Granite City, IL yesterday. He called it "Uncle Max's". I wouldn't have talked to him at all, but he walked up to my truck and gave me the "working hard or hardly working", and I assumed he was a fellow company driver. He wasn't too persistant and gave up when I just told him I don't polish my wheels.

It almost makes me wish I would have gotten some white steel wheels on the truck I bought.

6. ghostchild

ghostchild Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Can't stand them...whether at truck stops or the younger male types who hang out by convient stores or corner stores who always seem to 'mark' you...

They, expecially the younger ones where I live, just assume all is fine with you...as if you have it so well that giving away change in your pocket won't be missed or needed...

I've been so broke at times where I did have to literaly clean out change cups, until pay day came...and all i could remember thinking was 'Gee, had I only kept my money, I'd have cash on me now'....

And obviously giving away money sure doesn't make 'god' bless you with more...cause I'd be rich by now if that were the case...

I felt like punching a guy in the face today, who got to close to me...they double dipped me...and I felt so used...

But where I live...unlike at truck stops, you may see these characters again...so it's wise to be 'tactful' with them...by their favor, so to speak...

[​IMG].....pause button...

Ok I'm back...had to run to corner store real quick...and guess what I encountered...a hobo pan handler...[​IMG]...one who's up there quite a bit actually, but hasn't messed with me in a while...

These older and younger males who stand out like that and beg day after day after day....and I'm like where is your dm families?
    And can you not even save one dime to pay light bills with?

They probablly have a lot of money banked up, and just don't want to spend their own...

Either way...the fact that they're not ashamed, or embarraced, to beg to others for money, tells me something isn't right about them...

Most men would be to ashamed to do such a thing day in and day out, without showing any signs of improvement...I mean to stay in the same condition of need forrever...while still able to walk, doesn't sit right with me...

And the thing about 'local hobos'...is they know everything...they watch and observe...like gather intel on you, all their potential recipiants...

They comment on your car, clothes, hat ect ect...as if to 'personalize' the experience for you before they ask for money...

Chapter 2

And the amount of money they want is never 'life changing'...

I mean it's just enough to get a smoke, or beer or candy or some small item...I mean what can you buy with 10 cents or 50 cents?

That's not enough to change anyones life...and most hobos are plump...

Big, healthy, have more layers of fat on them than I do...

Which tells me they're on a fixed income...and simply beg or harrace drivers, or others, for the fun of it, or cause they go through their own fixed income fast...

But if they were really that poor, how do they pay rent? lights ect ect?
    Seems to me they would be more interested in paying rent first, then other fixed bills....50 cents isn't going to pay anything...

And where I live, the beggers aren't homeless...rather they come from homes to beg...

They don't realize, or care, how selfishly disruptive it is, as a grown man, to ask or inconvience someone else to give up change...while having no concerns over your own needs...

You could be $20,000 in debt...do they care?

Maybe you have elderly parents to take care of...do they care?...no...

They just somehow think your suppose to make them a priority in your life...by giving away your sweat and blood to a begger...

And in conclusion...

Not where I live now...but if I'm ever across town or something...and one of these hobos comes up on me to quick...well...

They are con men...and they lie to your face..and don't even think you'll notice...

One day someones going to take a golf club to one of these hobos...

Expecially when they're probably aleady recieving public aid or assistance...

it's not my fault they blow through their funds so fast...and then want to come drain me of my stuff too....

I don't think so...I'm sick of these hobos...everywhere I go, there's a freakin hobo at the front door waiting...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
    bentstrider83, wire, bergy and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Smaggs

Smaggs Pie Crust

Apr 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I had another driver beg me for 2.80 at the Flying J in Cheyenne, WY. He said he worked for some company... I recognized the name, but forgot it to say who it was.

He said "I work for so and so and I need $2.80" That was it... I'm not sure what that was about. I just said no and he walked away.

8. ghostchild

ghostchild Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Over the years I've been approached by similuar drivers...but could never understand how can you be employed, running someone elses freight, in their truck...and they can't advance you the money??

Most, actually, every company I've ever worked for will advance you funds...

Sometimes I think begging like that is just an illness...

And even worse, I was at a labor job once...me and this guy both worked the same hours that day, did the same thing, and when we got our checks...they asked
    me if they could borrow like 5 or 10 bucks...

I was dismayed...and said...'hll no'...

9. Smaggs

Smaggs Pie Crust

Apr 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yeah, I don't get it. I'll watch a driver sitting in his cab... watching trucks park.. then he'll sprint over and beg for money... seriously!

My other favorite was a guy talking to me while I was trying to fuel. He kept talking while I was trying to enter my info in the card reader. I told him I was busy and the thing makes me start over and he just kept blabbing away and then said "I want to ask a miracle question" then proceeds to beg for money. When I tell him I have no cash he says "how about I polish your wheels?" I say "what part of 'I don't have cash' did you miss"

I've been doing a lot of slaughterhouse runs (I haul reefer) anyone who's ever been to one knows it's pointless to shine everything up.

That, and no means no.

These people need to be stopped. I hate being bothered when I'm finally off duty and some butthead wants to sponge off of me. I'm trying to relax, eat, shower, fuel and then rack up for some rest. I have my own problems. I don't give a crap about any one else's crap.

One of these days, I'm going to lose it and hit one of these guys with my tire thumper. Especially if they charge up to my truck again while my back's turned as I start my fuel pump. You're just asking for it, then.

The moochers don't have an ounce of couth, either. Shameless, relentless and annoying.

People say it never hurts to ask... I want to change that rule ;)

OPUS 7, Everett and bergy Thank this.
  10. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L
    They're all bums.....I just tell'em to #### off!

allniter and Smaggs Thank this.
  11. Smaggs

Smaggs Pie Crust

Apr 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    What's weird... that doesn't always work.

These people hear "no" and for them it translates to "keep engaging and annoying this driver until he empties his wallet to get me to go away"

I've ranted about this elsewhere on these forums. I have NO sympathy for those people. Most are full of crap and have money, but spend their nights and weekends begging. I actually caught a guy in Erie, PA with crutches. He would wait until he thought the coast was clear and walk WITHOUT the crutches to his nice car and drive to his nice house. He would hang out by a grocery store lot in harborcreek and panhandle. He was convincing. I never found out what happened to that guy.

Think about it. These beggars get to the truck stop in THEIR car. They must have money... I'm sure it's not all funded by begging.

I won't even give money to pretty girls. They try it, too. Get dolled up, hang out at a Flying J and beg. I say "no, and please stop talking to me" if they keep going I say "I never carry money, it goes to my wife", though I'm not married HAHA

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.