Paperwork time. To be or not to be perfectly legal.

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by TallJoe, Feb 12, 2017.

1. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I think that the HOS apply to those who drive CMV, and those who don't the HOS is of no concern. If I drive and do the clerical job, they may say that the clerical job affects my fatigue and therefore may compromise my driving "freshness", therefore I need to log it too. Of course, I am not someone who would do it for real or even have any qualms about it, but I wanted to know, if anything like that can be a rabbit pulled out of the hat by officials. They do these "surprise, surprise" tricks sometimes, for example, every time you stop at the braking area in CA at the Donner pass (mandatory stop) you have to log it, it is less than 5 minutes stop, but the weigh station down in Citrus Heights, will ask why you did not log the stop,or at least marked it. You can't just say that it was included in the driving time. Same thing with WY port of entry. I seem to have plenty of hours before I hit 70 nowadays, but to be perfectly honest load searches, brokers calling I do while lying down in the sleeper bed and it takes sometimes hours. I drive and talk to brokers as well and generally it seems that I am preoccupied with this searching for the next load staff all the time. So if I wanted to log it all I would run out of 70 fast. Thanks for the replies, I'll just skip logging this staff, as it does appear to be in a grey area.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dlstruck

dlstruck Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2016
    They didn't ask me any question like that during my audit. Just passed it a few weeks back. If they did, I would just say wife finds the loads and do all the paperwork, I just drive. That would be good enough for them. They're not trying to trick you or get you to fail during the audit. IF they find something you're doing wrong, they will show you how to correct that and what you need to do in the future. They won't fine you or instantly put you inactive unless it's something really serious.

TallJoe Thanks this.
  4. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    I am a part time piano player in a ##### house. I always log the time on duty AND declare all the tips as income.

5. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    A doll house? I used to be a piano player too. Nobody ever tipped me. But maybe I was drunk too often to remember.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.