Parked Here for the Night

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TruckDuo, Jan 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FatDaddy

FatDaddy Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Katy, TX or Swedesboro, NJ
    Corn on the cob boiled in water and slabs of butter is the ONLY way to eat it...lol

Rocks Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    Looks a lot like Mexico.

Mexico has some truck stops but not like we are used to. My dad and I stopped often at one just south of Chihuahua to fuel the vans. Bathrooms cost a peso to use lol.

Most stop in wide turn outs or road houses. The rule of thumb about good eats is the same, look for where the trucks are. Found a good place where Mexican route 40 and 49 split between Torreon and Durango that served all you can eat steaks and pork chops, homemade tortillas and salsa for like $4.

Many Mexican trucks don't have air conditioning so the drivers sleep during the day and run at night. Bet Brazil is similar.

Rocks Thanks this.
  4. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Well that works fine especially w/the store bought stuff.....buy you ever get a chance to field pick some real good local sweet corn....like Lancaster county silver(among others)....soak em in a big pot of fresh water(do not shuck em)get a fire goin...or a decent sized grill u can cover....get a good slow burn goin...like slow BBQ...after the corn soaks fer an hour or two....throw em on the grate in their husks....cover let em steam for 10 minutes or so....and the sweetness jus pops....we jus eat em like that...tho lotsa folks still do the butter thing....course I pick it in the field next door&eat at least on raw on walk back to barn....:)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2015
    TruckDuo, Al. Roper, Ducks and 2 others Thank this.
  5. FatDaddy

FatDaddy Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Katy, TX or Swedesboro, NJ
    I could go that route too...but store bought stuff??? Bleh!! Only get my corn from the farmers in Jersey. Yeah when I'm in Houston I have to deal with the store bought stuff but I generally stay away from it.

ncmickey, TruckDuo and 'olhand Thank this.
  6. ncmickey

ncmickey Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Durham NC
    not many folks know how good the corn and tomatoes are in Jersey!! Apples too

in a pinch, or in the truck... Take the corn, shuck it. Wrap it in plastic wrap. Microwave for 2-3 minutes and then let sit for a few minutes. You will wonder why you ever waited for water to boil.... I like it on the grill too....

rocks, I love the pics of Brasil! Have fun and tell your dad we are all thinking of him! If I get a chance, I'll post the drone video of the village my friend lives in.
    Im at the J on the north side of OKC. I think the town is called Edmond. I deliver about 5 miles from here. I hear there is a really good Indian restaurant at the truck stop next door...I may check it out since I walked 3 miles this morning!!

Rocks, TruckDuo and FatDaddy Thank this.
  7. TruckDuo

TruckDuo Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Amen ! Butter, salt & pepper. Every summer I pick up fresh corn from the farm and we have it almost every night.

ncmickey, FatDaddy and Rocks Thank this.
  8. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    Some parts of Brasil do look like Mexico... but not everywhere... The south and southeast regions are much more advanced and industrialized and colder than northeast...
    Brazilian truck drivers drive night and day... some more during the day than at night but since there's absolutely no enforcement of whatever HOS they have, and no safe places to park their rigs, drivers have to drive for as long as they can with no rest... and many times in convoys... I remember in the 80's when I used to hitchhike with truck drivers in that country, some were so high they would drive for days without sleeping... :smt119 and would go down hill in neutral with no brakes... Wild times...
    BTW, I would NEVER be a truck driver in that country... :biggrin_25512:

FatDaddy Thanks this.
  9. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    Americans are soooooo "adicted" to sweet food.... I never tasted sweet corn till I arrived in America. And I don't like it... :biggrin_25512: I miss the corn in Brasil... not sweet at all.... they eat it with salt and butter... :yes2557:

FatDaddy Thanks this.
  10. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    Someone told me that the non sweet corn is given only to animals and it can be found only in the farms... is that true? I have tried to find that corn in every farmers' market here in the USA and couldn't....

11. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    Those corn vendors in Brasil also sell corn on the grill... yumm yumm... :yes2557:

Hey, thank you ncmickey... :biggrin_25519: Indian food is very good... hope you enjoy it...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.