Parking at the truck stop head first

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Badmon, Jan 25, 2020.

Do you defend the nose-in drivers ?

1. I pull nose-in myself

2. No, they're idiots

3. I dont care it doesn't affect me

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. MOBee

MOBee Road Train Member

Apr 27, 2014
    Well while we are talking about things sticking out, how about the over size wings that now park in complete units and take up the entire rest area. Where did they park before? Why are they all in the rest area now? Not enough parking now, only to find after the sun goes down and the truck stops are full, to find the entire rest area has been bogarted by these wings.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

They gotta park too. Besides, most small rest areas are full by sunset.

Odin's Rabid Dog Thanks this.
  4. MOBee

MOBee Road Train Member

Apr 27, 2014
    I understand they have to park too, but where did they park before and why are they in the rest areas now? What changed?

5. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    At independent truck stops the big fleets avoided. Now those truck stops are filled up with swift and Werner drivers that toss their trash on the ground, piss in the lot, don't buy fuel, and don't spend any money in the restaurant.

Opendeckin Thanks this.
  6. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I’m going to guess because now many mega truck stops are charging for parking, so less free parking spaces, and that’s a problem for oversize vehicles who may need 2 or more spaces right next to each other.

snowwy Thanks this.
  7. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    The good thing is they’ve been parking 4 blades per night at the little scale south of Alma NE so you don’t have to worry about that thing being open at 5 in the morning for a while.

Cabinover101 and spyder7723 Thank this.
  8. Cabinover101

Cabinover101 Heavy Load Member

Jul 28, 2019
    You mean alot of Truckstops are charging for parking again, just be thankful that there is some free parking, quite a few used to have a gated entry like Petro in Bordentown, NJ or T/A in Baltimore but lots of them were like that. Those Windmill blades that you are talking about have to park somewhere of course, they have to coordinate it and would imagine some that are running elog it just makes sense to park at a rest area in route = time saved vs trying to get off the highway and go manuever into a Truckstop that accidentally doesn't have enough parking. Not to mention their other restrictions on that load

Sirscrapntruckalot and spyder7723 Thank this.
  9. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    C8876EF1-AA9D-47DF-B7C9-5364B505110B.png Here’s one for all the haters.Im at a Loves, facing the fuel island, by the scale, I had to do it. Couldn’t sleep otherwise. Don’t be hating, can’t afford to have my hood ripped of today

10. 88228822

88228822 Heavy Load Member

Sep 26, 2018
    at some truck stops, yes the extra 5 feet matters

some places it doesn't matter at all

I have parked at some very tight truck stops where it is difficult to get out even when everyone backs in as far as possible. The Flying J in Texarkana comes to mind...

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  11. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    A spread axle flatbed doesn't turn as good as vans. A van can make a u-turn on a 2 lane road. A flatbed will need at least 5 lanes to make a u-turn

HoneyBadger67 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.