Parking at the truck stop head first

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Badmon, Jan 25, 2020.

Do you defend the nose-in drivers ?

1. I pull nose-in myself

2. No, they're idiots

3. I dont care it doesn't affect me

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Deere hunter

Deere hunter Road Train Member

Aug 5, 2017
    Shallowater Texas
    I can see that with a van or a reefer but I pull a 57 foot double drop in a long wheelbase Pete so I stuck out no matter what .kind of like a sore thumb:(

G13Tomcat and Wasted Thyme Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    57 foot double drop with a long nose pete?
    Yup I guess you do stick out the vast majority of time. Do you stick out more when you back in or pull in?

Wasted Thyme Thanks this.
  4. Deere hunter

Deere hunter Road Train Member

Aug 5, 2017
    Shallowater Texas
    Same nothing slides! But lots of times I pull in because I would rather they take out trailer and not hood!

Wasted Thyme Thanks this.
  5. BackwoodsGA

BackwoodsGA Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Elgin Nd
    Whatever trips your trigger.

6. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    That’s only true if you pull a trailer with the tandems up. Some of us are the same length no matter what end is at the curb and I’d rather have my trailer hit instead of my truck.

wore out and Deere hunter Thank this.
  7. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Yup that is true, but you and Deere Hunter are anomalies. For the vast majority of us (even bedbuggers and car haulers) we stick out over the rear more than the front. Good point though.

Deere hunter Thanks this.
  8. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    Im approx 3ft longer in the rear than the front with a 48ft spread axle flatbed and that's only because out axles are set forward a bit. If 3ft sticking out causes someone like badmom to hit my trailer then that's on them.

Long FLD and snowwy Thank this.
  9. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

Do it for a couple of reasons:

1.) I'm so dead tired I can't even see the mirrors let alone what's in them. The guys on either side of me were here before I got here so maybe the spots will be empty in the morning. If nothing else, at least I'll be awake by then.

2.) protect my tractor.

3.) I'd rather look at trees then the hood of a Volvo across from me.

4.) privacy

5.) (and this is probably my biggest decision.) I find I sleep best with the nose slightly uphill and one side higher than the other. If I pull into an empty lot, that might be the first thing I look into.

Wasted Thyme and silverspur Thank this.
  10. silverspur

silverspur Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Plus you don't have to breathe the exhaust fumes from your next door neighbor's ACU exhaust pipe six feet away that is pointed straight toward your head head while you sleep.

I woke up one night and my whole face was so tight it felt like a lobster was twisting around on it. The air was real thick as someone had pulled in next to me and turned the ACU on full bore. I stood up and fell right back down in my bed. I had a headache and my nasal passages were clogged. As soon as I could pull myself together I moved to another spot.

I will never back in for the night next to someone running an APU pointed at my head.

Men swung from the gallows at Nuremburg for gassing people in Nazi Germany but if corporate America wants to make a contraption that gasses truckers then somehow it's supposed to be OK.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  11. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Be nice if they routed those apus exhaust with the truck or at least as high.

One dump truck I drove with engine blowby. I routed the blowby to the back of the truck. So I didn't have to breathe that crap when I was sitting still.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.