Parking Brakes; Times they shouldn't be used!!!!!

Discussion in 'Truckers' Photo Shack | Art Gallery' started by Carolina Razorback, Sep 27, 2006.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I thought they were bigger than that...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scarecrow03

Scarecrow03 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    According to Michelin, the biggest tire made for an aircraft goes on the Boeing 777 and has the following specifications: 50x20.0 R22(I'm assuming these numbers are all in inches with the final dimension being the rim size) and weighs in at an average of 218.5 lbs and has a speed rating of 235 MPH.

The X-One XTE (the biggest of all X-One's) is spec'd at 455/55/R22.5 which translates into a tire that is 41.7 inches in diameter (tall) and 17.6 inches wide and weighs in at an average of 180 lbs.

So, the tires on a jumbo jet are somewhat bigger, but I just used the X-One as an example. I'm not trying to be a smart aleck by posting this. I actually just guessed on the comparison when I first posted about the size of the tires, so when you questioned me Mack I had to check out Michelen on the web to see if they happened to make aircraft tires as well as the X-One. Pretty good guess if I do say so my self.

Sources:
    tire specs*

http://www.airmichelin.com/pdfs/C737NOS1.pdf You'll hafta scroll down to the last page of this PDF document to see where I got the spec's from.

4. ajb1972

ajb1972 Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2006
    Springdale, AR
    That site has some interesting stuff.

5. hiob

hiob Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2007
    From replays at the site of this picture, I quote:

"[FONT=ARIAL, Helvetica, Geneva][​IMG] A visitor from Greece posted Thu May 25, 2006:[/FONT]
    [FONT=ARIAL, Helvetica, Geneva]According to my knowledge, this can happen from an overweight or overspeed landing, when the brakes reach very high temperatures (600 degrees C or more)A quick google search returned that according to the airline, the A340-600 airbus returned from Seoul, South Korea to the Pudong airport at about 2:23pm on Saturday. During the landing, 12 tires of the undercarriage blew up. The crew immediately adopted emergency measures to safely stop the aircraft on the runway. All 232 passengers were taken away by shuttle bus and the plane was pulled off the runway for repair later. The airline said the accident was still under investigation."

Tire without air will make marks like the ones on this picture. Sidewalls support tread on sides, middle part colapses, so wide, single tire makes two narrow black lines.
    [/FONT]

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.