Parking in Frederick,MD or Leesburg, VA

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by hightide58, Nov 25, 2018.

1. hightide58

hightide58 Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2016
    NW Florida
    Any place to park a flatbed around this area for a weekend? Didn't see anything truckers path.
    Thks

DougA Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Just about all of my old spots have been developed over. I checked google earth carefully on all of them.

Everything has been overbuilt. All of my spots pretty much has been eliminated.

If you are coming into Frederick Via US 15 from PA north, there is a small hilltop Truckstop above Gettysburg near the interchange for Hanvoer-Mechanicsburg. If you are coming from the west it's going to have to be I-81 Winchester. If from the east, Jessup Md is your last one. Otherwise Easton Maryland on 95. Virginia is either Doswell or Fredericksburg US 17 if any are still open. Doswell might still be open. Several have closed.

There is a old Texaco on US 15 two miles south of the Maryland-VA crossing up on the hill. Satellite photos showed they plowed over their rear parking lot with dirt and allowed it tor return to nature. So by reducing acrage, they probably reduced taxes.

There is a Keep Tryst Road off US 15 right at the Bridge on the Maryland Side, Tuscorora I believe there is a diner with maybe a acre to park there. You would be coming off 15 drop down about 50 yards and then swinging into the diner/deli property. Now being able to stay there the whole weekend is anyone's guess.

If you ran west on I-70 from Frederick a while you will hit a McDonalds with truck parking at I think Meyersdale. You cannot miss it. And there is Baltimore with the travel plaza at the bottom of 95 next to the Fort McHenry Tunnel Tolls downtown. It's not what it used to be in terms of a decline.

There is literally a whole geographic block inside of the area I described in which you cannot stick a truck legally anymore and assure it wont be towed. And all of my spots have been dug up and paved over with new roads and in two cases low income housing with parking lots and one is now a nursing home UGH. Land must have been more value than the old businesses in the last 20 years or so. Im not surprised the owners sold out and along came the developers.

DougA, hightide58 and muletrain Thank this.
  4. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    US 15 from the Md. line to the Leesburg Va. bypass is still 65' overall restricted,and they do patrol it.
    Also,Easton,Md. is on the eastern shore of Md. on Rt. 50.
    And the McDonalds is at the Myersville Md exit on I-70.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    KB3MMX Thanks this.
  5. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I've parked at Frederick Town Mall before,... its pretty run down compared to how it used to be. But also keep in mind,.. I stayed with the truck. Frederick used to have a decent Union 76 truck stop years ago. Long gone.

There are places to park,.. but you really have to know the area.

Hurst

KB3MMX, DougA and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You are right about eastern shore.

Im thinking of the two truckstops near the delaware line on 95 in maryland.

And yes the meyersdale is west of frederick after the first pull and upgrade into the second. 30 minutes roughly.

I cannot emphasize that I had about 12 spots in that area and I checked everyone by satellite low view. Found that all but two that I wrote about are gone.

Fredericktown Mall on the Goldenmile no longer exists as such. It's pretty much gone. There should still be a dennys there not far from there along with many other places. But to park there a whole weekend? I would not try it.

The 76 was the kingpin of everything parking in that area and a formal truckstop, actually my home stop. But they buried it and built a costco there now. A parasite upon society if you ask me. If I was to look around a little bit more towards some of the smaller back roads I might still see some valid parking spots. But you would have to sort of pretend you belong. There is a Canadian Auto Body stamp plant in Carroll County at the Poage Airport Complex there, you might be able to sit a whole weekend, but it's patrolled and there is a facility with 4 heavy tow trucks about two ridges to your east. and there is a resturant a block from the airport gates towards route 97 to Gettysburg about 19 miles north.

As far as length limits on US 15 virginia, as long you got a 48 foot flatbed you should be fine. 65 foot overall limit. If you can prove you are going to lees-burg for delivery (BIG FAA facility there. They need everything delivered there once in a while) Just be very careful about the US 15- Battlefield road intersection, there should be 4 diamonds cut into the pavement prior to light. As long you are on two of them with truck your light should stay green for you. Otherwise you have a hard stop scenario on a curve.

KB3MMX and DougA Thank this.
  7. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    You're thinking of Elkton, Maryland I - 95 exit, 109 . Flying J & T/A

DougA and x1Heavy Thank this.
  8. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    There is a motel, a Super 8 I think, behind Costco that has truck parking. They might let you pay to park there.

9. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    There is a old Motel indeed in Frederick Maryland that is Next to the old 76 property which is the Costco. That also was known as "Silver Dollar" bar down in the lower level. The Lot used to hold a whole row of 18 wheelers back in the day.

However. The original interchange with 355 is gone. Moved east about two blocks and a new one built.

A examination of the Super 8 Motel indicates it's been repainted by the new owners.

The truck parking area was chopped and then appears to be protected by attendant in a car as a drop lot for a customer or company. So you may probably be unable to park there. The entire Geometry of the streets have been changed as well. It will be a bit of work getting a semi down there now.

Drop lot.jpg

DougA Thanks this.
  10. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    If you are going to run US15 through there with a 48' trailer,you better have a day cab,or a really short wb tractor. The trucks that run that route are local dump trailers,loggers,tankers,day cabs,shorter delivery trucks,etc. It's a huge moneymaker,the cops there know all the tricks,you're not going to BS them about a delivery in Leesburg. The signs say 65',nothing about local deliveries. If you're going to Leesburg,come in the truck route from the east or west,RT. 7. If you run this route overlength,and get caught,you will end up with a very salty ticket,and a court appearance in Manassas. And the court there is VERY anti truck. Have made several costly donations there.
    Just a warning,hate to see the Connwealth of Virginia get anymore money.Have trucked my whole life,and have lived in this area for almost 70 years,I've already been through this with the state of Virginia.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    hightide58 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. hightide58

hightide58 Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2016
    NW Florida
    Thanks for the info, pretty much what I figured. That whole area both sides of the river is a revenue generating bohemith. I'll check with my nephew his company in Rockville has a few trucks. I have family in Frederick & Poolesville. I delivered once to the new power plant in Leesburg but came in from Winchester.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.